Re-Gear ??

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I ran into post a guy made about re-gearing. He stated he only had time to do the rear at that time. But then went out and drove it and it did all he had hoped for.. One of which was it increased his rpm's from 2000 to 2400 at cruising speed. So question. I thought you had to rear gear both front and rear or shit would go crazy.. (in 4X4 or not) Am I wrong? On the rpm's aren't we re-gearing to tame the motor a little to run bigger tires. Thanks

fiend

Caught the Bug
I drove for a year with 5.13s in back and 4.10s in front. (I lost my workspace before I could regear the front.) You can drive fine as long as you don’t put it in 4wd. Don’t even need to remove the front drive shaft.

And yes, regearing will increase your RPMs. But larger tires reduce RPMs (larger tires spin more slowly to cover the same ground). So they more or less even out, depending on the combination.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Well I guess you can as long as you don't go into 4wd. or have tire size match each axle ratio.. preferred soft and straight...:crazyeyes:

Upvote 0

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I drove for a year with 5.13s in back and 4.10s in front. (I lost my workspace before I could regear the front.) You can drive fine as long as you don’t put it in 4wd. Don’t even need to remove the front drive shaft.

And yes, regearing will increase your RPMs. But larger tires reduce RPMs (larger tires spin more slowly to cover the same ground). So they more or less even out, depending on the combination.

Thanks.. Was a little confused about the whole thing.

So basically we are trying to bring it back into the stock rmp range.?

Upvote 0

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks.. Was a little confused about the whole thing.

So basically we are trying to bring it back into the stock rmp range.?

Jeep under gears them to maximize MPG. Ideally you regear to get the engine into the RPM range that has max HP and torque. That’s a bit higher than stock.

Upvote 0
If you have no traction (think wet mud) you can run different ratios, a lot of competitive mud trucks do this so that they can have faster spinning tires on one axle. Try this with traction and your transfercase will go boom. There is a certain amount of tolerance you can get away with being different ratios front and back, think slightly different tire sizes. But Gears? Hell no, he lifts up on that lever hes gonna be out a couple thousand dollars. You can absolutely do the regear one at a time without hurting anything if you don't engage it or have AWD.

Upvote 0

jesse3638

Hooked
As long as you don't have the front drive shaft in you're fine. I drove with 5:13 fronts and 4:10 rears until I got mine done. Also I thought I read that you could leave the drive shafts in with different ratios just not in 4x4. This is because in 2hi the front is totally disconnected from the t-case just not the axles (no locking hubs) from the front drive shaft.

Edit: Greer said this above. A little late to the party here..haha.

Sent from my SM-G991U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Top Bottom