Question for Mr. Wayalife (or anyone) re. JL Tailgate capacity and spare tires

Slaphitter

Hi Eddie - Googling the web I came across an old comment on another forum that said something to the effect of: “Wayalife was told by a Jeep representative that the JL tailgate can handle 85 pounds in addition to the stock wheel/tire weight”. But that was from a long time ago and I can’t seem to find any published specs.

I also have seen your video about mounting a 37” spare on a JL, from about 4 years ago. With a full extra presidential term under your belt running the JL, any further observations you can offer on (A) the stock tire carrier weight capacity, and (B) the tailgate weight capacity?

And of course, anyone else here who knows?

Gracias!

Last edited:
The stock carrier can hold a 37 BUT wouldn’t suggest it if you plan on going fast in the desert or go on any trails with big enough ledges to possibly hit the spare.

You want to make sure that the tire is pressed against the rubber isolators on the tailgate to prevent movement which could lead to bending/warping the tailgate. Depending on wheel backspacing, you will probably need to extend them.

Note: A 37 will not clear the stock bumper. You will have to get an adapter or have a bumper that will clear it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it can be done but not with a factory bumper or at least, not without relocating the spare higher and it is CRITICAL to make sure that the sidewall of the spare is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators to prevent jiggling. Failure to do that WILL result in damage to the tailgate.

Slaphitter

How about smaller than 37 but still heavier than stock 32? I totally get the bumper issue depending on width and backspacing. Any sense where the weight tolerances are?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about smaller than 37 but still heavier than stock 32? I totally get the bumper issue depending on width and backspacing. Any sense where the weight tolerances are?
From what I was told by my friend at Jeep, a high level engineer, the tailgate should be able to handle the weight. And, based on what I've seen, I will have to agree BUT again, you NEED to make sure that the spare is sitting FIRMLY against the rubber isolators to prevent jiggling.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You can fit a 35 on the stock carrier w/ 4.75bs wheel and have it resting on the rear bumper for extra support and on the tire isolators like it should be. Did this on a friends Jeep. She doesn’t off road but PA roads are kinda shit so it’s kinda like driving In the desert 😂😂

Hi Eddie - Googling the web I came across an old comment on another forum that said something to the effect of: “Wayalife was told by a Jeep representative that the JL tailgate can handle 85 pounds in addition to the stock wheel/tire weight”. But that was from a long time ago and I can’t seem to find any published specs.

I also have seen your video about mounting a 37” spare on a JL, from about 4 years ago. With a full extra presidential term under your belt running the JL, any further observations you can offer on (A) the stock tire carrier weight capacity, and (B) the tailgate weight capacity?

And of course, anyone else here who knows?

Gracias!
There were published specs in the owners manual.

I had my 35" Spare on the stock tailgate carrier for around 2 months and let me tell you... it was horrible. Albeit this was a JK with a weaker tailgate and hinges but even with a light factory Rubicon wheel, it would make a horrific rattling noise while obviously violently shaking, so much so I thought it would shatter the glass or warp the tailgate. It happened on every single imperfection both on and off road. I quickly ordered up EVO's carrier and couldn't be happier, I'd suggest you do the same or similar to have the piece of mind it's secure if anything.

I had my 35" Spare on the stock tailgate carrier for around 2 months and let me tell you... it was horrible. Albeit this was a JK with a weaker tailgate and hinges but even with a light factory Rubicon wheel, it would make a horrific rattling noise while obviously violently shaking, so much so I thought it would shatter the glass or warp the tailgate. It happened on every single imperfection both on and off road. I quickly ordered up EVO's carrier and couldn't be happier, I'd suggest you do the same or similar to have the piece of mind it's secure if anything.

This.

Throw your 37 up there and check it out. You’ll instantly realize that it needs to be mounted to more than stamped sheet metal with no backing.

Top Bottom