PR44 diff cover removal

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So my pr44 finally is done its break in period so it's time to change my fluid. Being that the pr44 doesn't have a drain plug like the stock housing the cover needs to be removed. That being said I am having trouble removing it lol. I removed all of the bolts but left the top one in (very loose) to catch the cover when it popped off. The problem is I can't get it to pop off the housing. Other than smacking the housing with a hammer does anyone know of any pry points on the housing or have any tricks to removing the cover?

OJK12

Can you slip a putty knife between the cover and the housing kinda break up the gasket and help pry it off. That's how I usually get a stick one off without damage.

Buster3479

Mine's a real PITA too. I usually wack the cover a few times stoutly with my dead blow, and then gently tap in a tiny slotted screwdriver on the lower right or left corner to get it started. Once you get it started it's easy, just difficult to get to that point. I leave one of the top bolts barely in as well to keep it from falling. On the bright side, it's really well sealed!

kaptkrappy

They don't use a gasket at Dynatrac. It's RTV or some kind of sealer.

DynaTrac 1 .jpg .

Hit it with a dead blow a couple of times (with a bolt or two still loosely installed) or try the thin putty knife, just be careful with it.

SFNick

Yup, I use a putty knife to get the split started, then I shove a flat head screwdriver in there & pry it apart.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I will go back out now and see if I can get it loose with the putty knife.

Yes it is great that the seal is so tight but a curse as well for getting it off lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I will go back out now and see if I can get it loose with the putty knife.

Yes it is great that the seal is so tight but a curse as well for getting it off lol

Well that was quick! Got it off right away! Thanks again!

Side note- the diff cover is heavy as hell! Lol

StrizzyChris

kegels.jpg

;)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So my pr44 finally is done its break in period so it's time to change my fluid. Being that the pr44 doesn't have a drain plug like the stock housing the cover needs to be removed. That being said I am having trouble removing it lol. I removed all of the bolts but left the top one in (very loose) to catch the cover when it popped off. The problem is I can't get it to pop off the housing. Other than smacking the housing with a hammer does anyone know of any pry points on the housing or have any tricks to removing the cover?

Get a butter knife out of your purse and crack the seal

Top Bottom