Orion

TrailHunter

Hooked
The same week I installed the Rancho RS7 shocks I was getting an "EEEE OOOH EEEE OOOH" sound during suspension travel. I assumed it was the shocks... but Overlander was right.. it was not. It was the Johnny Joints. Today I rebuilt all but the front uppers since those are fairly new. I can tell you the last couple times I hit the zerks I could not get a lot in... so I assumed they were full of grease. Well, they were ALL dry and dirty as hell. It seems like the dirt and grime had filled the holes in the bushings and prevented grease from even getting in. I also noticed the new bushings have bigger holes which should help. And I'm glad I bought the Johnny Joint Tool. That was a job, but no more "EEEE OOOH"

IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4165.JPG IMG_4169.JPG

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The same week I installed the Rancho RS7 shocks I was getting an "EEEE OOOH EEEE OOOH" sound during suspension travel. I assumed it was the shocks... but Overlander was right.. it was not. It was the Johnny Joints. Today I rebuilt all but the front uppers since those are fairly new. I can tell you the last couple times I hit the zerks I could not get a lot in... so I assumed they were full of grease. Well, they were ALL dry and dirty as hell. It seems like the dirt and grime had filled the holes in the bushings and prevented grease from even getting in. I also noticed the new bushings have bigger holes which should help. And I'm glad I bought the Johnny Joint Tool. That was a job, but no more "EEEE OOOH"

View attachment 396641 View attachment 396640 View attachment 396642
Nicely done and great shots of what you were doing LOL!!

Sure is nice to have quite joints :)

TrailHunter

Hooked
Nicely done and great shots of what you were doing LOL!!

Sure is nice to have quite joints :)
Honestly I was shocked how dry they were and full of dirt. The only joints that had a little bit of grease (barely anything) was the rear uppers. Only the rear uppers have a hole through the steel ball that ends up greasing the bolt for some reason.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Panamint Valley Days was cancelled due to the Freak Summer storm we had... but we went anyway. Had the whole campsite to ourselves. The trails were indeed FUBAR... with some serious wash outs exposing huge boulders that would take 40's to get through. We had some carnage but a lot of laughs. Saturday we entered Coyote Canyon just as a dude and his family were about to go over the edge of a 50ft drop. He took an off shoot that was very soft and creeped over too much. I attempted to winch him over from below but the XJ just wanted to move closer to the edge. The only option was to head a couple miles over to the next valley and work our way in from the top. After a few hours we found a trail that probably hasnt been used in Decades... You could barely see it... bushes in the middle of it, blended in with everything else.. but it was there and showed up on the map. Once we got to him from above my buddy and I dropped 100ft of line down and winched him up to safety right at dusk. The 4 hour adventure was well worth it and there was no way we were going to leave them stranded. All in all, we had a blast. Here are a few pics:

DSC09853.jpeg DSC09972.jpeg DSC09903.jpeg DSC09995.jpeg DSC00022-Enhanced-NR.jpeg DSC00002-Enhanced-NR.jpeg DSC00028.jpeg DSC00047-Enhanced-NR.jpeg IMG_1463.jpeg DSC00071-Enhanced-NR.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great shots! Looks like a hell of a good time and the weather was really perfect. A LOT of the roads leading into Death Valley have been closed due to the storm damage so you're lucky that you were able to still get out on the trails. That guy you rescued was super lucky you came around as well. I'd be the first to say that I don't know all the details but what he was on didn't look much like a legit trail and it really is guys like him, being out by himself doing stupid shit like that - that get's good places and trails shut down.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These are the kind of signs we came across.

20231113132218-50cff155.jpg

20231113132222-cb49fb93.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Great shots! Looks like a hell of a good time and the weather was really perfect. A LOT of the roads leading into Death Valley have been closed due to the storm damage so you're lucky that you were able to still get out on the trails. That guy you rescued was super lucky you came around as well. I'd be the first to say that I don't know all the details but what he was on didn't look much like a legit trail and it really is guys like him, being out by himself doing stupid shit like that - that get's good places and trails shut down.
Honestly, its something we would have probably tried. He was with another Jeep, and said he had done it a few years prior… but he just lost his footing and it went sour real fast... right as our group came around the corner. And being there wasn’t a lot of rigs out there.. he got damn lucky. They were very nice people and extremely grateful. We were stoked we could help… and racking up some good Karma points is always a plus in my book.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, its something we would have probably tried. He was with another Jeep, and said he had done it a few years prior… but he just lost his footing and it went sour real fast... right as our group came around the corner. And being there wasn’t a lot of rigs out there.. he got damn lucky. They were very nice people and extremely grateful. We were stoked we could help… and racking up some good Karma points is always a plus in my book.
Like I said, I don't know all the detail, just saying how it looked to me. Again, good on you for helping out (y)

Top Bottom