No name build, haven’t thought that far ahead

Maybe the steering gear is not very tight? It seems like some driving will be necessary to perfect the steering. Wranglers are not known for precise steering. It is all about cumulative averages.

It’s interesting. I could have someone watch the steering wheel and rotate the adjuster on the drag link and the wheel wouldn’t move. However…

When I would rotate the adjuster even a little, tighten the pinch bolt back up, the steering wheel is definitely in a new spot after driving it.

So, the fidelity is there, it’s just not noticeable until you drive it. I was able to get the steering wheel close to center. I have the 15mm in the Jeep so I can adjust it, but I think it’s where it needs to be.

My impressions are that the vehicle is much stiffer in the rear. This is what I was expecting. It seems to wander a bit or be a bit more vague. I think I need to add a bit of castor up front, but I’ll go through all the measurements after driving a few more miles. I want everything to settle a bit and get a feel for how it rides before I make any adjustments. It doesn’t feel dangerous, it just doesn’t provide as much feedback as before.

I’m very happy so far.

WJCO

Meme King
Pretty much anytime you modify the suspension, it creates a different driving feeling. As long as you tightened everything, you should be good. Just make sure the caster is set properly.

I did get on each corner of front and rear bumper before tightening the bolts and jam nuts that are left out when off the ground. I think it’s just different and I have to get used to it.

I’ll spend this week measuring and making adjustments to caster and alignment front to rear. Toe shouldn’t have changed since I didn’t mess with the tie rod.

So. Made some adjustments and got the handling in a good place. Was happy with the way things are. Then went and got some new shoes...

IMG_2142.jpeg

Not the best picture, but it works. Rear looks high because I have no spare (waiting on the bracket to move the spare tire mount) and nothing in it. I think it will settle a little as well. I ended up getting Toyo Open Country AT III in a 35/11.5r17 on the stock wheels with 1.75 inch Spidertrax spacers. No rub, everything clears and I'm happy with it.

Next up is some gearing. Everything I read, opinion wise, says 4.56. However, when I do the math [(new tire dia x old gearing)/old tire dia] [(34.5x3.45)/31.5]=3.77 is what I would need to mimic what I had on the stock tires. Gearing down a little to 4.10 seems like the right thing to do as I thought it was peppy in stock trim. To me this means that 4.56 is going to be REALLY peppy and probably geared down to much.

I understand that as I add weight, front bumper, rear bumper, skid plates, gear... that the lower gear (4.10) will become more appropriate, but am I missing anything? 4.56 seems like it's unnecessarily short gearing.

Top Bottom