New seals, same old leak

I replaced my front passenger side axle seal about a month ago sue to a small but persistent leak. It’s a 2017 JKUR with only 23000 mikes on it. It seemed fine for about a month but it’s already leaking again. Yes, it’s entirely possible that I damaged the seal when I reinstalled the axle (I have sleeves, so reinstalling the passenger side shaft is actually easy).

But having only 23000 miles on one seal and already leaking on the replacement is making me wonder if there’s something else I need to check. Other than a damaged seal, what else would cause the intermittent leak? It’s been cold here in CO making me wonder if temperature has an effect. I don’t know what else to check before I disassemble the whole front end for round 2.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Potentially a damaged seal during the replacement or a bent front housing could both cause the issue

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
I would put silicon around the seal between the seal and the hub next time. My boss replaced a whole housing on a f 350 one time. It still leaked. A little silicon and the seal fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

How'd the shaft look when you pulled it out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd say it was in good condition, if not close to new. It's a Ten Factory chromoly shaft that I installed at about 18000 miles. There is the slight bright spot where the seal sits on the shaft you'd typically expect, but nothing unusual. Straight as an arrow. It's the 2nd time I've looked at the shaft in recent times. I re-geared last year and it looked the same then.

Slimebones

You mentioned you have sleeves installed. Is it possible some fluid is trapped between the sleeve and axle tube and drains out when Jeep is parked on an angle, passenger side downhill?

You mentioned you have sleeves installed. Is it possible some fluid is trapped between the sleeve and axle tube and drains out when Jeep is parked on an angle, passenger side downhill?

It’s leaking on level ground. I cleaned out everything when I installed the seal so the only oil is from a fresh leak. The fact that it leaked with an original seal and now with a new one makes me think it’s the housing that has the issue.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've replaced my passenger side seal twice. It's leaking again too, so needs a 3rd one.

The first replacement seal looked mangled when I looked at it. Probably gooned it up installing. The second seal I make a fancy tool to press it in. But it's still leaking....

Jeep - 1 of 1 (1).jpg
Jeep - 1 of 1 (2).jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's a bearing/seal press part on the left, and on the right a 1 1/2" socket which fits the new seals just perfect.

Top Bottom