New question about lockers (just a curious question)

Lstdrgns

This is really just out of curiosity and I like the advice thoughts of people who might have more experience. I have decided to get a rubi, so someday when I upgrade the axels it will be relevant. Right now I'm just wondering what thoughts people had about after market diff lockers.

If you were to install after market diff lockers (In Example... arb diff lockers) would you go with air lockers or e-lockers and why? Any specific brands?

Just want to hear thoughts on it. Like I said in my other post never used or owned a 4x4 with lockers before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been a big fan of ARB air lockers and have run them for about 2 decades now. I like how they engage and disengage immediately with the push of a button. They're strong and get the job done. What I don't like about them is that you need a WORKING air compressor to run them and depending on how you have the air lines setup, they can get cut, melt or get damaged and that can leave you without locker if they do. What I really don't like about them or at least in my ProRock axles is that they leak from the locker and the compressor is constantly buzzing on and off because of it. Replacing the seal to fix this is a pain in the ass and to date, it has NOT fixed the leak.

With all that said, I have recently gone back to giving Eaton e-lockers (what you get from the factory) a try and so far, I've been quite happy with mine. I can't say that I was thrilled with them back when they first came out in 2007 but they clearly have made improvements since then. My problem with them back then was that they kept sticking and breaking on me.

The BAD Influence

I was told my dynatrac at EJS that ARB is the only locker that is available with 35 spline in a D44. So, that's why I went with ARB. I wanted the extra strength of 35 splines. However, as Eddie stated, the seals leak inside the locker. ARB sent a new seal kit for free, but it is a time consuming job to replace them. Also, the new seals lasted approximately 6-7 trips, and are leaking again. They stay engaged, but if you're on an obstacle that requires lockers for more than a few seconds, the compressor continues to cycle. For an added bonus, you get the smell of diff fluid in the cab, as the air vents out the diff vent hose.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I know when I was in Europe, (20 years) a lot of European Jeepers used OX Lockers (which are mad in the USA) and loved them. The used the manual version, basically 2 levers in the Jeep and they are cable actuated.

Sgt_USMC

I have the factory Rubicon lockers on my TJ that are air, and I don’t see a problem with air lockers. Like others pointed out, just be very aware of how the air lines are routed and they should be just fine.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have the factory Rubicon lockers on my TJ that are air, and I don’t see a problem with air lockers. Like others pointed out, just be very aware of how the air lines are routed and they should be just fine.
Electric. Factory lockers are electric.

Sgt_USMC

I forgot about this, but just double checked the FSM. There are two air pumps on rubi TJs. One for each locker, and each supply 5psi to engage the lockers.

Top Bottom