Need to be talked off a ledge...

sparks

Back story:

August 2016: after saving for years I bought a 2014 JKU Sahara with 20k miles on it from a reputable local car dealer (non Jeep)

I didn't know any better and Bought a Canadian Jeep. No warranty.

Within the last few weeks:
Smelled coolant, found a small leak on radiator.
I have the transmission hoot
Just now, I was poking around with a flashlight and saw a small drop of coolant on my Tstat housing.

I haven't lost that much coolant with either leak.

I have zero shifting or performance issues with the trans.

So, 3 minor'ish repairs are needed and I don't have a heated garage. I'm headed to the Jeep dealership Monday to see what they are interested in fixing... but not holding out hope.

I also have a call into the dealer I bought it from. I was sold a vehicle without knowledge it wasn't under warranty. I can't put all of the blame on them, but they told me (and provided paperwork) that the remainder of the factory warranty (3/36k) was in effect.

If you were me, would you:

A) keep the coolant reservoir topped off and wait til warmer weather for repairs. I'm not going anywhere extreme in the near future.

B) trade her in and try to get something else.

C) drive to the dealership I bought the Jeep and get loud in the showroom on a busy Saturday afternoon, hoping they will repair something.

D) quit being a bitch and have a few beers and fix it in the cold. Or find a heated garage to borrow.

KJV

Back story:

August 2016: after saving for years I bought a 2014 JKU Sahara with 20k miles on it from a reputable local car dealer (non Jeep)

I didn't know any better and Bought a Canadian Jeep. No warranty.

Within the last few weeks:
Smelled coolant, found a small leak on radiator.
I have the transmission hoot
Just now, I was poking around with a flashlight and saw a small drop of coolant on my Tstat housing.

I haven't lost that much coolant with either leak.

I have zero shifting or performance issues with the trans.

So, 3 minor'ish repairs are needed and I don't have a heated garage. I'm headed to the Jeep dealership Monday to see what they are interested in fixing... but not holding out hope.

I also have a call into the dealer I bought it from. I was sold a vehicle without knowledge it wasn't under warranty. I can't put all of the blame on them, but they told me (and provided paperwork) that the remainder of the factory warranty (3/36k) was in effect.

If you were me, would you:

A) keep the coolant reservoir topped off and wait til warmer weather for repairs. I'm not going anywhere extreme in the near future.

B) trade her in and try to get something else.

C) drive to the dealership I bought the Jeep and get loud in the showroom on a busy Saturday afternoon, hoping they will repair something.

D) quit being a bitch and have a few beers and fix it in the cold. Or find a heated garage to borrow.

If you have paperwork stating a warranty then a gentle approach to the selling dealer may be your best bet.
If they truly are reputable, a resolution may be easy. If dealer wants to play ball, a call to a lawyer may be a good move.
The other option is D.

sparks

If you have paperwork stating a warranty then a gentle approach to the selling dealer may be your best bet.
If they truly are reputable, a resolution may be easy. If dealer wants to play ball, a call to a lawyer may be a good move.
The other option is D.

Thanks for your input. Makes me feel better.

I have a call into the GM at the dealership. He wasn't in today so I'm hoping I will hear back tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully they truly value customer satisfaction and want to make it right (to some level).

If I can't get a resolution from them I do have a propane torpedo heater that might take the chill out a bit...

WJCO

Meme King
I agree if you have paperwork showing warranty, fight it that way. Other than that, if the leak is minimal, keep an eye on it.

My heater core started leaking the day before a pretty remote wheeling trip this summer. I picked up a heater core bypass kit just in case and decided to do the trip anyways. It was fine and I've been on 3 remote trips since. If it doesn't leak any worse, I'm leaving it. The system drops about 1/4 inch per month, it's a very slow leak.

sparks

I agree if you have paperwork showing warranty, fight it that way. Other than that, if the leak is minimal, keep an eye on it.

My heater core started leaking the day before a pretty remote wheeling trip this summer. I picked up a heater core bypass kit just in case and decided to do the trip anyways. It was fine and I've been on 3 remote trips since. If it doesn't leak any worse, I'm leaving it. The system drops about 1/4 inch per month, it's a very slow leak.

Thanks I'll keep my situation updated here. Mainly for the venting aspect.. always feels better to let it out!

sparks

My 2014 has had two coolant leaks. Both very slow, it never drips, eventually I smell it. First was T-stat housing, next was upper radiator hose.

Seems like a pretty common thing. Did you replace yourself or warranty? Wondering if the replacements are better, or if there's an aftermarket housing that's built better.

sparks

Update:

Jeep is going in Tuesday! Manager said he reviewed my paperwork and "wasn't aware it had a Canadian title". He said to bring it in and they'll fix everything and give me something to drive while it's being repaired.

Looks like all of that anxiety for nothing.

Now hopefully today's collision damage gets repaired without too much headache.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KJV

Glad to hear the dealer is stepping up and honoring the warranty. Now what's this collision damage stuff?

sparks

Glad to hear the dealer is stepping up and honoring the warranty. Now what's this collision damage stuff?

I started a new thread. I got sandwiched between a Chrysler 200 and a Silverado this morning. Silverado's brakes went out

sparks

(Lack of) Update:

Jeeps been in the shop since Tuesday 12/13. I've already racked up 1500 miles on the 2017 Infiniti as a loaner car... I guess it's better than putting the miles on my Jeep.

Hoping to hear good news this week so we can move on and continue replacing stock parts with cool parts.

Merry Christmas!

sparks

Update

Jeeps back in the shop after they replaced the thermo housing, driver door seal, radiator.

I've pretty much been in 3 loaner cars since mid December. The Jeep went back today because after the radiator job there was bolts missing and the air intake was left loose.
I ended up dragging (not literally) the GM, Shop Manager, and Service outside to show them and GM was visibly pissed off about the half ass repair. He agreed that they didn't treat it as Jeep would have directly.

To keep this from dragging on, 3 hours in dealership with 3 hour round trip driving... its back in shop and they bought me a 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty (with loaner car at no cost) so I can take it back to Jeep dealership and get things handled correctly. I had the same extended warranty on my last car and didn't have any issues when needing repairs so I'm hoping everything actually worked out in my favor.

And the brand new Infiniti loaner is great to zip around in (and put miles on)

Last edited:
Top Bottom