Mystery Leak on JL Wrangler with Manual Transmission

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, got the call to come pick Pippi up. When I got to the dealership, I was told that she was all fixed and good to go. When I asked what the problem was, I was told that the tech found the leak was coming from the 2 transmission bolts. He removed them, cleaned them and sealed them prior to reinstalling them. After 7 hours, he saw no new leak.

IMG_5563.jpg

While I'm happy there's no more leak, I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned about the fix. I'd be the first to admit that I've never worked on this transmission but it seems to me that fluid wouldn't be leaking from these bolts unless there was fluid in the bell housing. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking this thing. Either way, time will tell and at least we started a paper trail.

WJCO

Meme King
So, got the call to come pick Pippi up. When I got to the dealership, I was told that she was all fixed and good to go. When I asked what the problem was, I was told that the tech found the leak was coming from the 2 transmission bolts. He removed them, cleaned them and sealed them prior to reinstalling them. After 7 hours, he saw no new leak.

View attachment 364530

While I'm happy there's no more leak, I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned about the fix. I'd be the first to admit that I've never worked on this transmission but it seems to me that fluid wouldn't be leaking from these bolts unless there was fluid in the bell housing. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking this thing. Either way, time will tell and at least we started a paper trail.
I've seen automatic transmissions leak fluid through the threads on the pump bolts, but can't wrap my head around a manual transmission doing it. I wonder if they pulled the transmission off to do this repair...

I hope they didn't just repair it so you don't see the fluid without actually fixing the problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen automatic transmissions leak fluid through the threads on the pump bolts, but can't wrap my head around a manual transmission doing it. I wonder if they pulled the transmission off to do this repair...

I hope they didn't just repair it so you don't see the fluid without actually fixing the problem.
That’s what my concern was as well. Guess we’ll see.

Bierpower

Hooked
Not nearly as engaging, though. The peformance is VERY close with a good driver. But we're talking Wranglers, not Lambos or Ferraris. The quickest Wrangler tested until the 392 was a 6 speed Sport. So in this case, according to your criteria, wouldn't that make the manual better?

In all fairness, yes, generally autos are outperforming manuals, but barely. And for A LOT more expense. But they are also at the expense of driver skill and engagement, nice as they are.

Btw, don't assume the C&D writers are expert manual drivers. They are likely not. A Motor Trend writer admitted that to me. He said they have lost much of their skill set because they don't drive them often and when they do, not for a great number of miles. I had been ribbing him over his reports of stalling the JL manual repeatedly, in spite of a VERY short first gear.
I looked up the car and driver article and the number your using are a 2 door V6 manual vs a 4 door 4 cyl automatic. Hardly an apples to apples comparison and still only a time gap of .4 sec 0-60.

CalSgt

Hooked

That does seem like an odd fix for a manual trans leak

Bierpower

Hooked
Seems like the only thing that could leak there is the seam from the bell housing to the transmission body and they just poked some stop leak in the holes.

CalSgt

Hooked
image.jpeg

It does look like there is silicone gasket maker between the bell housing and the transmission body and there is a drain plug right there too. Perhaps the back of the bell housing serves as the front of the trans internals.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 364563

It does look like there is silicone gasket maker between the bell housing and the transmission body and there is a drain plug right there too. Perhaps the back of the bell housing serves as the front of the trans internals.
The drain bolt you see is on the transmission but yes, there does appear to be some kind of sealant that you can see higher up. Either way, I'm not overly concerned especially being this is a manual but I did want to get it on record just in case.

Team.RGP

It sounds like the service technician has not separated the box to see whats the re, and just put sealant in the thread of the bolts… (average dealer repair)

Would be wise to check periodically the oil level in the box through the filling bolt.

Top Bottom