MC Mid arm on 392

zonearc

I sold my JKU on tonS, hemi swapped etc a couple years ago. It was getting to the point it was more buggy than Jeep and I don't wheel that hard anymore. Growing family, milder wheeling, yadda yadda.
Two weeks ago I picked up a 2021 392 for a good price that has a mild build and some "interesting" build choices. They built the factory axles ... 4.98 gears, RCVs, artec trusses, teraflex ball joints, adams shafts, and an MC mid-arm with their skids, armor etc. I did a redneck ram and cooler last week and then took it out to Wolf Caves in TX this weekend and it felt good overall. But, I haven't ran short arms in .. ever? It feels weird just by name alone... no tons, short arms etc.

So, I guess I'm looking for either affirmation or someone to tell me they are crap. How well will this work? How much flex am I missing, how much better ride would I get on the highway with long arms etc. It's another $3500 to buy arms and brackets for the control arms so is it even worth it??

And yeah, someone's going to jump me about the axles not holding up, but I'm also not bouncing them so I'm crossing my fingers they hold up lol

WJCO

Meme King
What are mid arms? You either have long arms or short arms most likely. Has nothing to do with flex regardless. What size tires and how much lift do you have?

Short arms or “adjustable short arms” are what some companies like MC call mid arms and they are simply that, a stock length arm with adjustability. Short arms increase control arm angles as you go up in lift resulting in a harsher ride, more road and trail vibrations felt through the suspension travel and, don’t allow the axle to travel in a shallower arc when flexing which can cause coil and shock bind because the axle will start pulling itself under the jeep before the suspension can fully cycle.

Long arms fix all of that and as WJCO mentioned, it has nothing to do with flex. If set up properly, adjustable short arms can be made to work really well and I still run them on my personal rig.

About the only questionable parts of that build are the Teratrash ball joints and the metal cloak arms. The MC arms are thin wall tubing and I’ve seen multiple sets sheer off at the joint end. And I’m assuming the 4.98 was a typo and you meant 4.88.

I’d say run it the way it is, put some real ball joints in and go play. Save up for better control arms or long arms if you feel the need. But if I was my rig, I’d throw some 38’s on it and fuckin send it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I assume you meant to say 4.88 gears? Also, as others have mentioned, the amount of flex you have is determined by shock length, not the length of your arms. Also, "mid-arms" are a marketing scheme and are essentially factory length arms or "short arms" that are in fact, too long and typically, by about an inch. They will do nothing for you other than cause issues like having your rear coils bow and make contact with your track bar and up front, cause your track bar to make contact with your differential.

CalSgt

Hooked
No input on your suspension set up but there isn’t anything wrong with the stock axles. I’ve got 50K miles on mine all with 37’s and a decent amount of wheeling. My only break was a front shaft and that was all my fault.

Reactions: SOB

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
First off, I assume you meant to say 4.88 gears? Also, as others have mentioned, the amount of flex you have is determined by shock length, not the length of your arms. Also, "mid-arms" are a marketing scheme and are essentially factory length arms or "short arms" that are in fact, too long and typically, by about an inch. They will do nothing for you other than cause issues like having your rear coils bow and make contact with your track bar and up front, cause your track bar to make contact with your differential.
Why the fuck would companies still using this bullshit terms. It should be illegal at this point.

Top Bottom