Maxxis Rzr Tires. Any good?

astros3111

Over the past few months, I've developed a front end shimmy. Happens when I am driving between 52 - 57 mph. The shimmy goes away when I drive below that or faster, and the jeep drives fine.

I'll admit I've done a shit job rotating my 38in Ridge Grapplers and have developed some high spots and cupping. Looking at the cost of what the 38s are right now, looking at other options. A few locals have the Maxxis Rzr in 40x13.50r17 and mentioned it operates well on pavement and trails. Looking at this one in a 40 since the weight difference between these and my 38's are about 7-9lbs per tire.

Has anyone ever run these and had any complaints?

I ran these in 35x13.50r17 for a couple years. They were OK. I bought them because they were cheap and I liked the look.

However, I will say my 37x13.50r17 Cooper STT Pros are WAY better in the following categories:
-Highway driving at 80mph, much smoother, more responsive steering. (Both sets balanced by the same shop)
-Hooking up in snow offroad
-highway driving in rain or snow
-Sidewall resistance to cuts. Same psi, same trails, maxxis got more cuts, coopers none

Both perform similar at hooking up on rocky Colorado ledges and general traction on smooth Moab rocks.

not sure if you cared to hear about coopers, but was the only way to describe the maxxis hah.

I will definitely never buy the maxxis again. 2cents

What he said! ^^^

I've seen people run those in those "Jp" and "FourWheeler" magazines (does anybody still read magazines like that?) And they're usually on overbuilt CJs, Jeep based buggys, and rock bouncers I've noticed. I can't imagine they perform well on road, especially at road pressure. They may hook up well enough off road though, haven't seen them in an offroad situation in person before however 🤷‍♂️

What he said! ^^^

I've seen people run those in those "Jp" and "FourWheeler" magazines (does anybody still read magazines like that?) And they're usually on overbuilt CJs, Jeep based buggys, and rock bouncers I've noticed. I can't imagine they perform well on road, especially at road pressure. They may hook up well enough off road though, haven't seen them in an offroad situation in person before however 🤷‍♂️

i will never forget the day I checked the mail for my JP magazine and all that was out there was a cardboard rectangle that said sorry dude, nobody reads magazines anymore so we stopped making them (paraphrasing here😉)

Jeeper99

I have some Maxxis Razr AT 37s that I'm about to install. Not exactly the tire I wanted, but close enough. I watched a Northridge video review that claimed these tires balanced with very little weight and are great for on-off road use. I read a few that had them on another forum that they really liked them and they ran true and balanced with very little weight. So, I figured I'd give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some Maxxis Razr AT 37s that I'm about to install. Not exactly the tire I wanted, but close enough. I watched a Northridge video review that claimed these tires balanced with very little weight and are great for on-off road use. I read a few that had them on another forum that they really liked them and they ran true and balanced with very little weight. So, I figured I'd give them a try.

Yea Good point here. I’m definitely talking about the mud terrains in my review. Assumed that’s what OP was asking about. 0B75DEDA-4CB2-4C6E-9F0C-61145DE9325E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bierpower

Hooked
FWIW I have the 37" Buckshot 2's on my jeep right now. It was the only thing I could get in a 37 a year ago. They run great at 70-80 mph and are holding up good in my opinion.(No chunking or cuts to date) They're lighter than the Nitto's were and work fine for me off-road. Haven't hit any snow yet but they are stud-able.

astros3111

I ran these in 35x13.50r17 for a couple years. They were OK. I bought them because they were cheap and I liked the look.

However, I will say my 37x13.50r17 Cooper STT Pros are WAY better in the following categories:
-Highway driving at 80mph, much smoother, more responsive steering. (Both sets balanced by the same shop)
-Hooking up in snow offroad
-highway driving in rain or snow
-Sidewall resistance to cuts. Same psi, same trails, maxxis got more cuts, coopers none

Both perform similar at hooking up on rocky Colorado ledges and general traction on smooth Moab rocks.

not sure if you cared to hear about coopers, but was the only way to describe the maxxis hah.

I will definitely never buy the maxxis again. 2cents
Didn't really check into the Coopers. I'll need to give them a look

astros3111

A buddy of mine has the AT's in 40x20 and really likes the performance of them. I don't think the AT's come in a 40x17?

astros3111

Welp - - based on this convo and doing some other research, I believe I am going to go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Seem to be a decent tire for off and on the road.

Top Bottom