Locking Hood Latches For A 2001 TJ

Hi, I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum.

I've owned JEEP TJ's for 20 years and this Christmas day was the first time I have had the battery pilfered from under my hood. 😡

Anyway, I've been looking for locking hood latches for a 2001 Wrangler online and been having difficulty finding anything for that year that has a custom key. I need the 2 hood latches because I don't want to remove the grill covers to create access to place a lock at the center under hood latch.

I would like to find a good 4x4 shop in the Reno/Carson area who may be able to help me as I am new to the area. I'm also looking to replace the radiator with all aluminum. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bear_JT

Hooked
Welcome to Wayalife. Sorry to hear about your battery loss. There are a few companies that make dual locking latches for the hood. They will have a custom key because they are all aftermarket stuff. I don’t think Bolt makes the locking latches besides the center mount latch but Bolt uses your factory key. I just saw some from DV8 that are dual locking latches. You can find them from most places that sell Jeep parts on the web.

Welcome to Wayalife. Sorry to hear about your battery loss. There are a few companies that make dual locking latches for the hood. They will have a custom key because they are all aftermarket stuff. I don’t think Bolt makes the locking latches besides the center mount latch but Bolt uses your factory key. I just saw some from DV8 that are dual locking latches. You can find them from most places that sell Jeep parts on the web.
Thanks!

I went to 4WP in Sparks and picked up the Smittybilt ones.

Shootz! Now I want these instead! LOL!

That place sucks, I've bought a few things from them over the years but only when I needed something that Sparks Summit didn't have in stock. I've been let down by them just about every time.
Thanks for the heads up. I decided on the DV8 locking latches. I can return the Smittybilt ones to 4WP.

73959546-B061-4DBF-93A2-FF11F561A86B.jpeg
Besides the awesome reviews this got, look at how the mechanism works, drops on a pin with a notch like a $5 master lock that you can open by kicking it. One pot hole and that hood is flying up.
the dv8 ones just looks sketchy to me, not to mention stupidly priced for what it is. Why not use one of the actual hood latch locks?

Literally couldn’t be easier. I don’t know what you’re talking about removing grille.
View attachment 370350
The Tuffy was the one I initially looked at. There are 'Grille Inserts' that the previous owner installed that block the openings on my JEEP's grille. To use the Tuffy, I would need to remove the center one, which would look dumb, to access the lock, or just remove them all.

I'm returning the Smittybilt's and going with DV8's. Yes overpriced, but at least the DV8's are lined up with the stock latch fasteners. Another pilfered battery would be the same cost to replace.

Top Bottom