Left side steering and rear steering wheel controls stopped working

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just got on the jeep to run an errand and and the controls on the left side of the steering wheel and the ones on the back stopped working. I can't change the menu, answer the phone l, change tracks or volume. Cruise control on the right is working perfectly. I'm leaving tomorrow for work and it's a four hour trip, since all of that stuff works in connection to the clockspring, should I be worried that it may leave me stranded and get a rental or is it no big deal?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It won’t leave you stranded. At worst if the clockspring was completely u/s you would just lose airbag and abs/esp systems.
The buttons on mine don’t work all the time but if you turn the wheel slightly it usually works. it’s been that way since new but of course it never failed for the dealer.

jdofmemi

I drove mine for quite a while like that with no problem.

The dealer should fix it under warranty.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Along time ago my steering wheel controls stopped working maybe had less than 10000 miles on it. I googled the symptoms and someone suggested a funky steering wheel dance. Sounds crazy but it worked. It was something like. Turn key to on position , turn wheel all the way to the left , turn all the way right, back to center then slap the wheel at the 2 o'clock position. 😂 It worked and have never had a problem since.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't have any controls on the steering wheel but mine failed completely on the way home from a Moab trip.
didn't have any notable issues other than no cruise control, turn signals, wipers - luckily it didn't rain but I had to stop and wash the bugs off the windows often.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Along time ago my steering wheel controls stopped working maybe had less than 10000 miles on it. I googled the symptoms and someone suggested a funky steering wheel dance. Sounds crazy but it worked. It was something like. Turn key to on position , turn wheel all the way to the left , turn all the way right, back to center then slap the wheel at the 2 o'clock position. 😂 It worked and have never had a problem since.
Incredibly enough, it worked.

desertrunner

If it's clock spring related you might have a horn issue. Mine just started staying constantly on. Super embarrassing in a parking lot but I just pulled the fuses. Just for future note if your horn starts acting wired

Top Bottom