K & N Drop-In Air Filters

BONDSY

Last weekend the trails we ran were very dusty, and it's been awhile since the last time I recharged my filter. Today I took it out, pre-soaked it with the cleaner, rinsed it out and it's drying. I also took the time to clean out the pre-filter are of the box. I then noticed the after-filter intake part of the box and the rubber part housing the flow sensor also had extremely fine dust attached to the walls. Anyone else see dust in the after-filter area? I know I oiled the filter properly last time I installed it. Also, I noticed pin sized holes in the fabric of the filter. My thoughts are to go back the the OEM style filter so see if everything is filtered out.

Anyone have this problem with these filters?
From the looks of it, I'm sure some of the fine dust was drawn into the engine.:mad:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
nothing short of a good old fashion paper filter is gonna keep most all the dust from passing through. if you had a cai, you could use a prefilter and that helps a lot but, some of those almost defeat the purpose of going with a cai.

Serg5000

I don't have any experience with that brand. I'm running a Banks system and have yet to see any dust on the opposite side of the filter. Although this thread has caused me to think about the live of the filter. I know. Itching is forever so I better look into that. Good luck with your issue.

BONDSY

I am going to get a paper filter today. Researching a bit last night I noticed a huge discussion on the "pin hole" issue. It looks like this is one of those "doing more harm than good"
type mods. I know now the risk of getting particles of dust into my engine are far worse than have the little bit of performance.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
On my 600rwhp Kenne Bell supercharged '04 Cobra I ran K&N filters for awhile with the same results. They flow more air, at the expense of air filtration. Another issue was the oil. While the JK doesn't have a Mass air flow meter, my car did, and it would get covered in air filter oil, effecting the meter, and engine performance. S&B filters are better, but still don't filter as well as a paper filter.

BONDSY

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I went ahead and put in a puralator classic filter in.

rizzicon

I bought a new K&N filter to use while I washed the old one. After washing the old filter out I seen a lot of pin holes. I had washed that filter once before. I thought it might be the way I washed it. Good thing I had another filter. I'm going to be care full washing the filter this time and see what happens. These filters are not cheap and I don't want to buy a new one every time I wash one. I'll go back to the paper ones.

Top Bottom