JL Rear License Plate Relocation Options

cinnur

Hello All,

I am currently working on preparing an aftermarket bumper for my JL, as most such bumpers it does not have a location for a rear license plate. There are many options, but I favor the plate in the middle of the spare with the brake light and camera as part of the kit.
Would anyone have experience with kits that are easy to work with when needed?
What I mean by that when needed, you have that unfortunate time when you have to exchange to that spare wheel and you are happy that the kit is easily disconnected, bolts, cables, and all!

Have Fun,
Sean

CalSgt

Hooked
Someone gave me a spare tire license plate bracket that I have been using for about 2 years... I never did wire the license light or figure a decent 3rd brake light for it. Its a little bit of a PIA to use a wrench to pull it off before accessing the lugs on the spare, also the special lug nuts that the bracket mounts to are a different size than the existing factory lug nuts and the bolts that mount the bracket. I have to have 3 sizes of sockets/wrenches to get the spare off.

Its a PIA but not enough for me to do something else, I just deal with it.

After I installed my EVO spare tire carrier I sent them an idea for a better back up cam mount, 3rd brake light, license plate mount combo. They said they would consider it.

Andy5160

Hooked
At a quick glance, is this is what you are referring?
I will review later when I have more time to look in detail. Hopefully it includes quick connects and releases.
The one you are referring to is for Rusty's tire carrier which is awesome. You'll need part# JTM3001.
No, it does not come with quick disconnect. You'll need to loosen up two bolts to remove it and have your own harness made with quick connector for the license plate lights. Literally will take a minute or two to remove.

Lperdue

Not a fan of most of their stuff but we went with a RC license plate holder (it’s pretty hard to screw one of those up lol).

Plus it works pretty well with the Mopar third brake light since they use the same bolts. (This was the main reason I went with it since I had already relocated my third brake light.) A454A3B7-B3DC-4B34-B9C7-E00402FB701D.jpeg

JeepFan

Hooked
I have the Rusty's Tire Carrier on our JL with the License plate relocation bracket and 3rd brake light relocation bracket. I like it. It's quiet and solid. The only downside is you can only adjust the tire mount in so far and with a 3.5" back space wheel, the tire sticks out farther than I would prefer.

20220216_171008.jpg 20220216_171025.jpg 20220216_171044.jpg

cinnur

I have come across this one that looks interesting, https://www.quadratec.com/p/gp-factor/license-plate-relocation-kit-wrangler-jl-lpb-2000
This one would extend the camera out a bit and I would see less of my now larger rim and more of the view, plus it includes a light for the plate.
I already have the Mopar third light relocation kit and when I installed that added an additional connector to make disconnecting the tail light easier. As to the camera, I found this, https://www.quadratec.com/p/rox-offroad/backup-camera-extension-wiring-wrangler-jl and figure this could be uses as a quick disconnect for the camera.
Does anyone see any flaws in this plan?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have come across this one that looks interesting, https://www.quadratec.com/p/gp-factor/license-plate-relocation-kit-wrangler-jl-lpb-2000
This one would extend the camera out a bit and I would see less of my now larger rim and more of the view, plus it includes a light for the plate.
I already have the Mopar third light relocation kit and when I installed that added an additional connector to make disconnecting the tail light easier. As to the camera, I found this, https://www.quadratec.com/p/rox-offroad/backup-camera-extension-wiring-wrangler-jl and figure this could be uses as a quick disconnect for the camera.
Does anyone see any flaws in this plan?
Not sure that I like how the license plate sits low on the spare but that's hardly a deal breaker. Everything else looks like it'd work well.

I have the Rusty's Tire Carrier on our JL with the License plate relocation bracket and 3rd brake light relocation bracket. I like it. It's quiet and solid. The only downside is you can only adjust the tire mount in so far and with a 3.5" back space wheel, the tire sticks out farther than I would prefer.

View attachment 372284 View attachment 372285 View attachment 372286
This looks like an annoying amount to hardware to remove and reinstall if you need to use the spare.

cinnur

This looks like an annoying amount to hardware to remove and reinstall if you need to use the spare.
Even with the current Mopar brake light relocation, it is more than just a few bolts to get the tire off. So this should not be anymore of a challenge once I get a quick disconnect for the camera.
I am open to other ideas if you have something in mind?

Last edited:
Even with the current Mopar brake light relocation, it is more than just a few bolts to get the tire off. So this should not be anymore of a challenge once I get a quick disconnect for the camera.
I am open to other ideas if you have something in mind?
Maybe a robotic arm which swings away via remote control from a cell phone would require fewer bolts. Nothing could go wrong. 😀

cinnur

Maybe a robotic arm which swings away via remote control from a cell phone would require fewer bolts. Nothing could go wrong. 😀
You had me laughing so out loud my wife asked me what was so funny!!!
That robotic arm also needs to replace the flat tire completely, A to Z!.
Thank You!!!!

cinnur

Well I installed the mentioned gp-factor kit, and in I am totally disappointed and removed it the next day.
I already use the Mopar brake light relocation kit, so I expected to have to make a bit more effort when it came to changing a tire, but not this.
The two lugs that support the bracket are longer than the Mopar kit, but unlike the Mopar kit, you will have to keep another socket set with you to remove the lugs since they are different sizes. I thought of using the Mopar lugs, but they are shorter, so if I wanted to use them I would have to cut some of the camera casing that holds things in place in the existing setup to use the GP kit, I do not wish to do such cutting. Finally my attempt to make a quick disconnect for the backup camera went bust, since the connectors will not work, the cable only replaces, not extends. Not having such a disconnect if you have to change your tire, you have to disassemble much of the camera setup to get to your spare tire. So you will add to the frustration of having a flat, and the odds are decent you will loose a part in the process.

However, if you think you will never have a flat, this is the kit for you!

I am thinking of going with the D Ring shackle mount now. Anyone have thoughts on this path?

Top Bottom