JKU Broken drag link end

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Broke the pitman arm side of the drag link trying to pry off the factory stuff to replace a bad end.

Tried to use a clamp and socket under it to no avail.

I have a ball joint tool on it now with tension, gonna hit it with an impact when I get home from work.

Any other tricks before I remove the pitman arm and throw it on a press?

*factory stock steering with 130k+ miles, 2.5" lift, new trackbar as well*

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Drag link stud is stuck, yes.

I will try to get a picture when I get home.

I did try to drill a hole and used a small slide hammer, but it broke the end of the hook off the slide hammer.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
When I was swapping out my steering box I couldn’t get that rod end out either in the vehicle. I took the drag link out with the box. Wish I could give you some advice but it’s just a shitty spot.

kevman65

Hooked
On my 2020 JT when I changed out the drag link to aftermarket the driver side was a PITA.

I used a pickle fork and a BFH and some PBBlaster and finally got it to pop.

My first fight was getting the nut loose and off. Couldn't get a hex wrench into the top of it to hold a backup on it.
Had to cut the boot off and hold the stud with vise grips.

If you have it available, some heat on the pittman arm around the stud may help your fight.

WJCO

Meme King
Drag link stud is stuck, yes.

I will try to get a picture when I get home.

I did try to drill a hole and used a small slide hammer, but it broke the end of the hook off the slide hammer.
What about vice grips and a pickle fork?

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Forgot to get any pictures, but I finally got it loose and finished up the drag link.

The wife says it went into limp mode from the TC on her way to work. it was only temporary, and has never happened before.

I will look at it tonight, but figured I would get some better direction before I do. I think I may have bumped a speed sensor or something maybe.

Anything else I should look at?

WJCO

Meme King
Forgot to get any pictures, but I finally got it loose and finished up the drag link.

The wife says it went into limp mode from the TC on her way to work. it was only temporary, and has never happened before.

I will look at it tonight, but figured I would get some better direction before I do. I think I may have bumped a speed sensor or something maybe.

If your steering wheel isn't 100% perfectly straight, that can cause traction control issues.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Working on the drag link shouldn’t affect your transfer case. 🤔

pewpew82

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I got the steering wheel close, but not close enough apparently. I will center it tonight after work.

Wife says the steering is much more direct and less road feedback from bumps in the wheel.

Hopefully the death wobble is gone.

Top Bottom