Jk Noise

jon200008

Good Day Everyone,

I have a huge question. I have a 2015 2d jk rubicon with a Teraflext 2.5 in lift and Im running 35x12.50.17R. I replaced the 20in wheels that were on it when I bought it to a 17 with a -12 offset and a 4.53 backspacing. I recently put a Smittybilt Pivot HD tire carrier on and noticed a "thud" noise when I go over a dip. The tailgate seems to be perfectly aligned as I did everything to keep it from falling during install. Is it the wheels or the spare tire carrier? I owned a TJ so I am used to noises but this one has me confused.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The tailgate has a rubber seal that will still allow movement in and out with the weight of a bigger tire. More than likely, you're hearing that.

kevman65

Hooked
If the dip is on a road, take the spare off and drive through the dip. Should confirm whether it's the spare or not.

jon200008

If the dip is on a road, take the spare off and drive through the dip. Should confirm whether it's the spare or not.
I did find when it was really bad the previous owner had installed the bump stops backwards and they came loose. I fixed all that but the Teraflex shock had also busted after the spare tire install and started bottoming out. Its only faster speeds with a decent dip like some train tracks. I wandered if I was still bottoming out somewhere. My next trial was taking the spare off like you said I just haven't had time yet. Thanks for the advice.

jon200008

Thanks everyone for the input. I found my issue and I should have crawled all over the jeep more than what I did when I bought it. I was underneath it (because the noise was driving me nuts) and noticed that my rear driver side coil spring was halfway out of the top perch and when I hit a bump at higher speeds the coil spring came in contact with a body seam. I have no idea how long it had been that way since I've only had it since May. So that makes 3 issues I found with the lift kit that was on it when I bought it.

Moral of the story INSPECT EVERYTHING.......:):):):):):)

Top Bottom