Jeeping and camping this weekend, Aug 13 near Vail CO

Corby417

I just posted in the "Destinations and Beyond" section asking about some trails south of Vail, Colorado. At the end of the post I added a last minute invitation to anyone who wants to join me. I figured I should have posted here to begin with but here's what the original post read:

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on trails outside of Red Cliff, CO. More specifically Ptarmigan Pass, McAllister Gulch and Wearyman Rd. I've searched the forums but haven't seen anything. I've also read up on them on TrailDamage.com but I was hoping for more information, specifically difficulty of the trails based on your recent experiences (last updates on TrailDamage were from 2010) and has anyone done any camping in that area? Lastly, I'm not planning on going alone, a buddy will most likely coming along with his own truck, but I'd like to leave an open invite to anyone who would like to come with us. I'm planning on going this weekend, most likely Saturday, camping that night and headed back out Sunday.

GraniteCrystal

I've looked at doing these for an upcoming trip. If coming from Denver, take Shrine Pass to get there instead of 70 for a more scenic route. Drove through Red Cliff and Shrine Pass a few weeks ago. Cool little town, pretty pass. Not sure what camping there is in the area. Didn't see anybody but that doesn't mean you can't camp. You'll be near Leadville as well. If you go that direction I can give more recs.

Corby417

I've looked at doing these for an upcoming trip. If coming from Denver, take Shrine Pass to get there instead of 70 for a more scenic route. Drove through Red Cliff and Shrine Pass a few weeks ago. Cool little town, pretty pass. Not sure what camping there is in the area. Didn't see anybody but that doesn't mean you can't camp. You'll be near Leadville as well. If you go that direction I can give more recs.

Going in either way for me is an option as I live in Vail. I've thought about making it a looping trip most likely starting in Red Cliff and finishing up on Shrine Pass and taking 70 west back home. Or if you have any other ideas for that area, I'm more than welcome to taking suggestions!

Top Bottom