Jeep JK won't start

justabluejku

Hello, so I have 2013 JK. The jeep recently stopped starting by key. Note it does allow me to remote start it and drive it which is how I get around. I first replaced my ignition switch and it worked for about a week. I then found out it had blown the fuse which I tried to replace but it kept sparking and blowing up the fuse. I have been told this could be a bad ground wire and to check it. The thing is I have not been able to locate the ground related to the ignition switch. If anyone can point out where it is I would greatly appreciate it.

black pearl

Hooked
I just had my battery ground be lose. It made the Jeep do all kinds of crazy things, including not starting every now and again.

Sgt_USMC

Most of the time when I hear won’t start or intermittent start the first thing to check is the battery terminals. Pull them off, clean them and the posts well, then reinstall ensuring they are tight. Make sure there isn’t anything under the nut that tightens the clamp, that can keep it from getting tight and cause the same problem.

justabluejku

Thank you all for replying. My battery terminals are not as tight as they could be, I'm thinking of getting new terminals to solve that issue. However, they have always been like that and it is now when the car won't start by hand. Also remember as I mentioned in my first comment, the jeep starts with remote start. I also have not experienced any other issues, jeep rides perfectly fine and everything works as normal. Any other ideas by any chance? I'm seeing a mechanic on Friday as I have a rear main leak and I'm considering asking him about this issue as well.

justabluejku

If it wont start, give the terminals a jiggle. If it starts after, they are the problem.
But everytime I put the fuse (m27 which is a 10A) it sparks it, this means there is electricity running through, if the terminals are the issue I shouldn't be seeing any signs of electricity running through there right?

Sgt_USMC

A fuse blowing is normally a short to ground. I would check the ignition switch and wiring for any signs of a short since that’s what stopped working.

kevman65

Hooked
Sounds like you're going to have to take the connector off the ignition switch and trace that bundle all the way back.

Could POSSIBLY be shorting inside the switch, but that would be an odd place for it to happen.

justabluejku

Sounds like you're going to have to take the connector off the ignition switch and trace that bundle all the way back.

Could POSSIBLY be shorting inside the switch, but that would be an odd place for it to happen.
Thats what I'm thinking of doing, just seems like a pain because those wires go into a harness that I'm guessing goes through the firewall into the engine bay. But I'll be taking a look tomorrow and if anything hopefully on Friday I manage to get this issue fixed. Really thankful for remote start or the jeep would've been parked in the house for quite some time now lol.

justabluejku

Hey guys. Solved the issue. My power door locks stopped working and were blowing the fuse upon pressing unlock/lock button. Decided to check the wiring but everything looked fine. Eventually, I decided to lift the fuse box to check, I saw nothing out of the usual. All wires looked fine. I placed the fuse box back in place gently making sure no cables were too tight against others or the body. Once I did that I put fuses back and connected the battery and the car started working normally. It has been like 3 weeks and I’ve had no issues with starting or the doors.

Top Bottom