How to treat rust??

dlm_jku

I have a good amount of surface rust forming on my axle and some suspension components. I've done a bit a reading but am still not really sure what the best course of action is. I'm going to start by cleaning the surface a bit with flapper disk where possible, wipe it down and spray with Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer. I'm not sure what, if anything I should put on top of that once dry. I've read a lot of horror stories with rubberized undercoating sprays (holding in any moisture that may make it in from rock chips, etc. and causing rust to spread even faster than untreated), so I think I'm going to avoid those. Should I just top with regular spray paint, the finish things off with something like fluid film?

Rust reformer is bs. I’ve never once seen it work as advertised. Sand off the rust and paint it with quality paint, where you live will change what that product is. Magnet or Eastwood chassis saver is a quality paint for salt belt. Urethane or epoxy primer is also a good choice. Don’t rubber undercoat it holds water and will cause rust.

linseed oil is an old and tried method. But you have to do it once a year prefeable before winter. liseed oil is also harmless for the enviroment. Just make shure to wash the body ofthe jeep after yreatment because if the linseed dries on the paint it is super hard to remove.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Living here in the rust belt I feel your pain!! I had a guy turn me onto DupliColor Caliper Paint. Does a great job covering and very little overspray. I usually touch it up once a year but keeps my frame and axles looking new.

CalSgt

Hooked
A friend of mine swears by a product called Rust Bullet... I don't know how much faith I would put in his assessment because we live in the Eastern Sierras where rust isn't really an issue.

I plan to give them some business in the near future for my Chevy truck project because they are a Reno based company which is fairly close to me and I try to support local businesses.

JT@623

Hooked
I have a good amount of surface rust forming on my axle and some suspension components. I've done a bit a reading but am still not really sure what the best course of action is. I'm going to start by cleaning the surface a bit with flapper disk where possible, wipe it down and spray with Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer. I'm not sure what, if anything I should put on top of that once dry. I've read a lot of horror stories with rubberized undercoating sprays (holding in any moisture that may make it in from rock chips, etc. and causing rust to spread even faster than untreated), so I think I'm going to avoid those. Should I just top with regular spray paint, the finish things off with something like fluid film?
Move to Arizona 🤣

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Rust reformer is bs. I’ve never once seen it work as advertised. Sand off the rust and paint it with quality paint, where you live will change what that product is. Magnet or Eastwood chassis saver is a quality paint for salt belt. Urethane or epoxy primer is also a good choice. Don’t rubber undercoat it holds water and will cause rust.
I am taking your advice. My shit is rusted. Living near salt water and having a mayor who slings salt when temps are below 40 degrees and even a chance of precipitation, something’s gotta give.
That chemical guy undercoating was about as good as spraying WD40 under my Jeep.

BlackKnight

I have my undercarriage hit with NHOU undercoating about every other year. Works great to keep the rust to a minimum here in New England...

Note, NHOU is short for NewHampshire Oil Undercoat, It's a company that makes a petroleum product that is applied to the undercarriage and can be injected into the cracks/crevases/frame rail of your vehicle. It's like slathering your undercarriage with petroleum jelly. It comes in two colors, clear and black.

FFPulley77

Hooked
I have my undercarriage hit with NHOU undercoating about every other year. It's like slathering your undercarriage with petroleum jelly.

EA312A99-678A-4BB2-91F8-B4A3B2510AC8.png
Also works great for the undercarriage… 🤣
(Pic stolen from Robar’s post on a different thread)

Top Bottom