Hole in the Rock Trail advice

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Planning on running this trail and looking for advice and comments on it. Where is a good place to leave my tow rig and trailer (bringing my JK and my flat fender)
I am sure I'll be fine on the trip since I have run the rubicon and camped on a trail before. Was wondering how long it has taken people and If they enjoyed it. The best info I have for it is from traildamage. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=100

I know the wayalife epic trek started it last year but didn't finish due to time constraints.

Last edited:

ChuckMRN

This should be an Epic Adventure for sure. I have done a lot of research on the trail and the history. Just sold my 2011 JKU and if I finish the build on my 2016 in time I hope to go this year in Oct. You can leave your rig and trailer at Hall's Crossing at the campground. Just have to pay the fees for a site. Or you can talk to the owner of one of the motels in Blanding and they will most likely let you leave it there. People are really nice and I don't think vandalism is a big thing there. You can do the trip with one night on the trail, but I recommend 2. Some like to drive half way and set up a base camp, then drive to the end the next day, hike, sight see, take pictures on the way to the end of the trail and back. Camp in the same spot then drive out the next morning. Others like to drive in and camp half way and then spend the 2nd night at the end. Makes for a long drive out the next day. 35 miles isn't that far, but at 5mph or less it's a day in the seat for sure. The Great Bend of the San Juan river is something I want to see while standing on the western rim for sure. I have waypoints to POI and GPS track data that I have found on the good Ol Web. Good luck

2Cross

Caught the Bug
This should be an Epic Adventure for sure. I have done a lot of research on the trail and the history. Just sold my 2011 JKU and if I finish the build on my 2016 in time I hope to go this year in Oct. You can leave your rig and trailer at Hall's Crossing at the campground. Just have to pay the fees for a site. Or you can talk to the owner of one of the motels in Blanding and they will most likely let you leave it there. People are really nice and I don't think vandalism is a big thing there. You can do the trip with one night on the trail, but I recommend 2. Some like to drive half way and set up a base camp, then drive to the end the next day, hike, sight see, take pictures on the way to the end of the trail and back. Camp in the same spot then drive out the next morning. Others like to drive in and camp half way and then spend the 2nd night at the end. Makes for a long drive out the next day. 35 miles isn't that far, but at 5mph or less it's a day in the seat for sure. The Great Bend of the San Juan river is something I want to see while standing on the western rim for sure. I have waypoints to POI and GPS track data that I have found on the good Ol Web. Good luck

Thanks that helps.
Have you ran it before?

ChuckMRN

The wife and I made it to the point just before going down the waterfall at 15:25 and she was worried that we would not make it up on the way back. All the rocks you see in the video at the base of the fall are not always there. Since we were solo, just camped there and did some hiking. Wanted to take the ferry to Bullfrog, but only runs on the weekend that time of year. That waterfall is not that bad, just a good idea to have another rig there if help is needed.
This video is a good representation of the trail that we saw there and more.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
The wife and I made it to the point just before going down the waterfall at 15:25 and she was worried that we would not make it up on the way back. All the rocks you see in the video at the base of the fall are not always there. Since we were solo, just camped there and did some hiking. Wanted to take the ferry to Bullfrog, but only runs on the weekend that time of year. That waterfall is not that bad, just a good idea to have another rig there if help is needed.
This video is a good representation of the trail that we saw there and more.

Nice
I've watched that video before and had no reference as to how far they had come. Exactly how far in was that waterfall and how long did it take you to get there?

That ferry schedule is definitely unique. If you miss it takes hours to go around.

ChuckMRN

After topping off the tank at the marina at Hall's we started the trail about noon or a little after. Made the waterfall camp site as the sun was going down and set up camp with plenty of light then dinner in the dark. I stacked rocks the next morning to try to convince the boss that we could make it up on the way out, but she was a definite NO GO! I would say it is very near half way. The whole area is so beautiful. Really want to get back there.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
After topping off the tank at the marina at Hall's we started the trail about noon or a little after. Made the waterfall camp site as the sun was going down and set up camp with plenty of light then dinner in the dark. I stacked rocks the next morning to try to convince the boss that we could make it up on the way out, but she was a definite NO GO! I would say it is very near half way. The whole area is so beautiful. Really want to get back there.

Probably smart to not try something if you were alone.

So to clarify you hadn't made it to the great bend yet? What time of year was it?

ChuckMRN

No, didn't make it to the vista for the bend. October was the time of year. 40's at night and 80's during he day

Iv'e run this trail before. It's a must for anyone!! Happy to talk through it and help plan. I've got a ton of pictures, a few web sights and even a name if the trail leader from this years EJS that ran it. May is a great time( not too hot). Depending on which way your coming from will determine where you park your tow rig( either at the airport on the south side or halls crossing north side and farry over).

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Iv'e run this trail before. It's a must for anyone!! Happy to talk through it and help plan. I've got a ton of pictures, a few web sights and even a name if the trail leader from this years EJS that ran it. May is a great time( not too hot). Depending on which way your coming from will determine where you park your tow rig( either at the airport on the south side or halls crossing north side and farry over).

Any insights would be awesome. I'm trying to nail down exactly how much seat time it takes? Did you do the hike down to lake Powell?
My friend might meet us there with his boat if we can get there.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Looks awesome. Very jealous. I've got a few weeks at work yet before I have summer to explore. Have a fun and safe trek.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Best info I have is from traildamage website.
This is GPS coordinates of airport which is very close to starting point. N37•26.12' W110•33.86'

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Trail report...
Left Blanding hotel at 6:45am.
Started out by topping off the gas tank at halls crossing airport (cal black airport) at 8:15.
Arrived at trailhead around 8:30 and aired down. Started in and about 2.5 hours in buddies jeep threw a check engine light and started overheating and leaking coolant. We were just about to Gray Mesa. Decided to turn around. Trail is very slow and bumpy.
I mean extremely slow and bumpy.
Made it back to pavement safely and pulled in to hotel to check in. His rig squawked and squalled and serpentine belt was fried from a seized idle pulley on his RIPP supercharger.

Good news is we are comfy in the hotel and not stranded on that remote trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trail report...
Left Blanding hotel at 6:45am.
Started out by topping off the gas tank at halls crossing airport (cal black airport) at 8:15.
Arrived at trailhead around 8:30 and aired down. Started in and about 2.5 hours in buddies jeep threw a check engine light and started overheating and leaking coolant. We were just about to Gray Mesa. Decided to turn around. Trail is very slow and bumpy.
I mean extremely slow and bumpy.
Made it back to pavement safely and pulled in to hotel to check in. His rig squawked and squalled and serpentine belt was fried from a seized idle pulley on his RIPP supercharger.

Good news is we are comfy in the hotel and not stranded on that remote trail.

Damn, that sucks! I think you guys made the right call to turn around. As far as your buddies RIPP goes - wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Damn, that sucks! I think you guys made the right call to turn around. As far as your buddies RIPP goes - wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.

Lol
My buddy says he is getting an LS swap now. No more RIPP. He's calling Motech Monday

metalic

Better be careful talking about experiences. People will call you a hater. :D

Top Bottom