Hill Decent control

SilverBack

Has anyone else used this on their rig? I used it today as I got myself in a bit of a hairy predicament. Went up a mountain with patches of slick rock and large scree. Got up and it started to rain heavily enough that it all became quite slippery. After trying to wait it out the weather only got worse! So started slowly don't the trail and remembered this hill thingy and pressed the button. Damn thing crawled it's way down over mud, loose slippery scree and wet slick granite. Safe and sound and happy with how impressive my Rubi really is!!!!!!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried it once but thought that most of the control came from the braking system. It made me uncomfortable as I prefer to use lower gears but I'm glad that it worked out well for you. I may have to give it another try.

Krystianjk

Pretty dope feature, they used it on the jeep ride at the car show and I've always wanted to use it but no hills in miami :/

I've tried it once but thought that most of the control came from the braking system. It made me uncomfortable as I prefer to use lower gears but I'm glad that it worked out well for you. I may have to give it another try.

I agree! As much as I like the bells and whistles in the JK this is not one of the things I like. Granted we have manual transmissions and I have only experienced it a few times in some friends' Jeeps that I've driven.

I know it's different but I really hate the hill assist too! I've never stalled so many times in my life. I would be trying to take of and the damn Jeep is holding the brakes. IMO this feature is only needed by those that can't properly use the clutch.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I agree! As much as I like the bells and whistles in the JK this is not one of the things I like. Granted we have manual transmissions and I have only experienced it a few times in some friends' Jeeps that I've driven.

I know it's different but I really hate the hill assist too! I've never stalled so many times in my life. I would be trying to take of and the damn Jeep is holding the brakes. IMO this feature is only needed by those that can't properly use the clutch.

You can disable he hill assist on standards, I disabled it as soon as I found the setting going through the the menu options on the dash display playing around

Dubzy

So...not to sound like a total noob...but is that an option? I don't think I have that button. I'm stuck at work right now, and will check when I leave. But I'm pretty sure I don't have it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

I felt like an idiot in my 08, kept stalling it out because of the hill assist. It was like tryin to learn how to drive a standard. I hated it. Glad I got an auto now with the 14.

USMC Wrangler

So...not to sound like a total noob...but is that an option? I don't think I have that button. I'm stuck at work right now, and will check when I leave. But I'm pretty sure I don't have it.

On my 13 JKU Sport, there is Hill Decent Control and Hill Start Control (or similarly named). The first one has a button, the second can be disabled which I did almost immediately with the auto trans.

Edit: I can't understand really why an auto would need the the hill start feature. I used to clutch my manual vehicles without issues.

Last edited:
You can disable he hill assist on standards, I disabled it as soon as I found the setting going through the the menu options on the dash display playing around

Yes, it is turned off on my 13' but I have not found a way to turn it off on the wife's 11'.

It is not a button but is a preference that some model years can select. Others have to be done via dealership or aftermarket programmer. It is a different thing than the hill assist that really only effects manual transmission Jeeps

Essentially, the Jeep will detect you are on a hill and hold the brakes until you load the clutch. The problem is if you are good with a clutch and can handle this on your own it will likely cause you to stall or at least make taking off harder and not easier.

Dubzy

I understand the hill start assist. I have a manual and noticed that the first time I took it for a spin.

I guess I'll just use a low gear when crawling down hills.

jeepnjoe

Depending upon your year JK. There isn't a button, I have a 2010 that I disabled the hill assist.
It is pretty easy to do. Here is a video on how to. Good luck
http://youtu.be/D2RRRSUEirE

Last edited:

SilverBack

I also had it in 4low and 1st gear. It kept the RPM at 1000 and lower. Quite nifty!

SilverBack

On my 13 JKU Sport, there is Hill Decent Control and Hill Start Control (or similarly named). The first one has a button, the second can be disabled which I did almost immediately with the auto trans.

Edit: I can't understand really why an auto would need the the hill start feature. I used to clutch my manual vehicles without issues.

The hill start assist on an auto is great in traffic with hills. I pull to a stop, hold the break for a few seconds and release it. The jeep sits there without rolling back at all. When the light turns green I press the gas and away I go. Saves the right leg on the long lights.

TheStick

I've never used it. I also feel with the Rubi t-case, 4 low and the right gearing, things work well without it. If I do need breaks, I'd rather use them on my own.

But like I said, I've never used it.

USMC Wrangler

The hill start assist on an auto is great in traffic with hills. I pull to a stop, hold the break for a few seconds and release it. The jeep sits there without rolling back at all. When the light turns green I press the gas and away I go. Saves the right leg on the long lights.

That's cool. Glad you found a use for it. :yup::thumb:

For me, it felt like the "drive by wire" accelerator had even more lag. I have tried the hill decent off road, but probably didn't need it at that moment.

SilverBack

That's cool. Glad you found a use for it. :yup::thumb:

For me, it felt like the "drive by wire" accelerator had even more lag. I have tried the hill decent off road, but probably didn't need it at that moment.

As you say, the whole drive by wire kills me, I still can't get the f_cking horn to sound less than a second and can't flash high beam lights for les then 3 seconds. Poor folks that get my 3 second blast of trucklites must hate it too!

Top Bottom