High Clearence Bumper & Sway Bar Recommendations

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
My factory steel front bumper is getting beat to hell. The sway bar disconnect skid is so mangled it started getting into my drag link.

I am currently considering the Motobilit Tomahawk frame chop. Anyone have experience with this bumper and the install?

I'm not thrilled to lose my electronic sway bar disconnect. I've never been a fan of the torsion style like the anti rock. I had it on my TJ and hated it. Perhaps it is better on a much heavier JL??? Another option would be the apex auto lynx or whatever the hell they call it. I definitely don't want to go back to wrestling with manual ones either. I am only about 6 months into the plush life as a starbucks drinking Rubicon owner after all.

Another option would be to go with a more traditional style bumper and rotate the sway bar motor and cut the brackets that hang down for the skid. Then not run any protection and hope for the best. I'm not sure how that would compare clearance wise to frame chop, but it's certainly much better than current.

The plan for this build is to basically push its limits on near buggy territory. Then proceed to marvel at the fact that I may potentially be able to drive it home. It will be on long arms, dana 60/80, 42s, coilovers etc... Up to 9 rated trails in Sand Hollow is my usual stomping grounds. Yes, many will think that this is stupid, and I should just wheel a buggy. You would be correct on a practical level. But hey, I am a sick individual and logic doesn't play a role in any of this.

Brevity is not one of my strong suits, especially when it comes to Jeeps. If you made it through my excessive babbling, I commend and thank you! What can you all suggest in your Jeeping wisdom?
IMG_3478-motobilt.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently considering the Motobilit Tomahawk frame chop. Anyone have experience with this bumper and the install?
Personally, I'm not a fan of Motobilt if only because of the way they came on to this forum and behaved like douchebags. That said, I am NOT a fan of chopping the frame for any reason. There are plenty of other options available that will still give you great clearance and performance without having to jack with the frame.

I'm not thrilled to lose my electronic sway bar disconnect. I've never been a fan of the torsion style like the anti rock. I had it on my TJ and hated it. Perhaps it is better on a much heavier JL??? Another option would be the apex auto lynx or whatever the hell they call it. I definitely don't want to go back to wrestling with manual ones either. I am only about 6 months into the plush life as a starbucks drinking Rubicon owner after all.
I wouldn't be thrilled either. The e-disco is AWESOME and like you, I'm no fan of torsion style disconnects. Even on a heavier JK or JL, they LIMIT flex on the rocks and are too soft on the highway or at least, for my taste.

Another option would be to go with a more traditional style bumper and rotate the sway bar motor and cut the brackets that hang down for the skid. Then not run any protection and hope for the best. I'm not sure how that would compare clearance wise to frame chop, but it's certainly much better than current.
As others have mentioned, I personally would recommend something like an EVO 1/4 Pounder. Or, I have done this in the past as well.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Personally, I'm not a fan of Motobilt if only because of the way they came on to this forum and behaved like douchebags. That said, I am NOT a fan of chopping the frame for any reason. There are plenty of other options available that will still give you great clearance and performance without having to jack with the frame.
I didn't know that. It sucks to hear a company would act that way. I'm not too worried about modifying the frame since this rig is getting cut up in all kinds of ways. I could see it being an issue if I wanted to sell it down the road for sure though.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't be thrilled either. The e-disco is AWESOME and like you, I'm no fan of torsion style disconnects. Even on a heavier JK or JL, they LIMIT flex on the rocks and are too soft on the highway or at least, for my taste.

As others have mentioned, I personally would recommend something like an EVO 1/4 Pounder. Or, I have done this in the past as well.

That's good to know with the sway bar. I hated the torsion style both on and off road. I have been enjoying the hell out of the OE disconnect. It's definitely not worth losing my factory sway bar for marginally better clearance.

Looks like the 1/4 pounder is the way to go! At first, I wasn't sold because it looked like the winch was fully recessed. After checking out your video and looking a little closer I can tell the top of the spool is still visible. I really like being able to see how the rope is going onto the drum.

As always, thanks for the advice!

I’ve always been an Evo fan and run the 1/4 pounder on my jk but I went with the LOD stubby on the JL

Attachments

• 91620CE2-62BC-4040-A5C6-6DE340AAD450.jpeg
    91620CE2-62BC-4040-A5C6-6DE340AAD450.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom