Hello - New Jeep owners here - advice needed!!!

Jmos

Hello all,

Wife and I just moved to Seattle area, and just got a 21 Rubicon 2 door hardtop.
Looking to build it up only for some basic off-roading and Overlanding.

We'd like to try one of the mine-cart trails next year, out of Denver, and camp as we cross the Rockies.

We've driven cross-country a few times to see family back East, but now upping our game to Overlanding Adventures!

We made a trip a couple years back, car-camping in her father's Subaru Outback -- 5000 miles total adventure from L.A. to North Dakota and back -- hitting every National Park in between, plus Devil's Tower and a few more. Had a GREAT time.

The Subaru was great, but could not go everywhere we thought we might like to be able to go -- hence the new Jeep!

Had to be a 2 door to fit in the garage, and for my wife to drive it -- 4 door was too intimidating.
Plus... this was what I found a great deal on!

We have stock 33" mud tires (Falcons), but I can *never* lift it -- or won't fit in garage (it is short - new house).
Can't go wider either -- wife's car has to fit in there too.
So this will be a mild-build, but it will go on serious adventures!

- Stub'd the front bumper already, with med. brush guard.
- Fire extinguisher & flashlight. Seatbelt-cutter and window breaker.
- Rock rails. Short-handle shovel & hand ax.
- Sunrider half-soft top.

Need air system next to do a little off roading up at Walker Valley ORV* -- only the mild trails, which is enough.
(*advice/maps please?)
Need a winch.
Recovery straps on-order.

Will do some lights by trip next spring (Mine Car Trail?) -- and figure water / fuel cans needs as well.
Want full soft-top and lockable toneau (sp=???) cover for that trip.
Will tent camp -- no roof tent -- we LOVE to drive and see UP (...Sequoia NP, tall trees... much better topless!)

Planning for long trip up the Yukon Hwy. from here (Seattle now) to Anchorage.

Planning for trip to see the North American Total Solar Eclipse in a 2024 -- in Northern Mexico we hope!

Planning for a trip cross-Canada as well -- here to Toronto or Quebec perhaps -- Wife wants to see Nova Scotia!!! but that's HUGE!!!...

FIRST trip... will be Yosemite Valley for Xmas -- maybe some snow :D

So that's us!
Those are our hope/plans for our new Jeep.

We'd appreciate any advice on how to plan and build this the right way.

Really have appreciated Eddie's Wayalife videos that give the "straight dope" of things -- including the stock Wrangler Sport, to see what it can do, tells me what to expect of my Rubicon.

AND thanks for showing us the "damage" underneath; which also helps me feel a lot better about what to expect -- including some bangs and dents -- and which to be concerned about or not.

Best,
J.

Sgt_USMC

Welcome to WAL!
While I don’t have much input for the build, the wife and I spent our 20th at Sequoia National Park. Whomever is the driver while climbing up the mountain will not want to look away from the road. It’s very curvy and tight. Ensure you have a full tank! From west to east it’s mostly uphill and chews through gas. It’s stunning country though, no doubt about that! No cell service either (loved that part!). If you go during the right time of year you can hit Visalia. It’s not too far outside Sequoia to the west. They have their Blossom Trail which is beautiful! 30 some odd miles, all road unfortunately, of blooming fields and orchards. Sadly, we missed most of the blossoms, but was still a great drive for us. The road form Visalia to the park is beautiful as well with some really nice little parks along the way. If you go into Sequoia from the west you can go from there to kings canyon park as well. We didn’t get to do that though, we were forced to turn back because of a problem.

Jmos

Visalia?
Is that an off-road trek?

I know that road into the park from the town of Three Rivers,... yep,... too winding to do anything else but drive!

But... in the park, being able to open up the roof, meant we could see so much more!!!

TY

Top Bottom