Hello from Lake Cumberland

MadHornet0618

What's your all thoughts? Wanting to buy the wife a jeep, a Jeep Wrangler JK or JL that has 3:73 gears in rear and 3:21 in front. Seeing a few of these on websites.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to WAYALIFE! If you can afford it, I would highly recommend that you get a JL being that it comes with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The JK can't hold a candle to it.

WJCO

Meme King
What's your all thoughts? Wanting to buy the wife a jeep, a Jeep Wrangler JK or JL that has 3:73 gears in rear and 3:21 in front. Seeing a few of these on websites.
JL all day long.

Also, who is selling a vehicle with 3.73s in the rear while having 3.21s in the front?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Strange. Not sure why someone would go to the trouble of re-gearing even a single axle from 3.21 to 3.73. A lot of work for not much of a result.
I bet the rear axle was swapped in from another Jeep.

No, they're all the same - at least to my knowledge. Like Eddie said, the new 8 speed auto is excellent and available in all years of the JL from 2018 to now. I plan on getting the 3.0L EcoDiesel JL, and that was available starting in the 2019 model year. A used JL with the tried and true 3.6L and the awesome 8 speed auto is an excellent investment in my opinion.

And x2 on not buying a Jeep from a dealer that has mixed gears on it. Shady.

MadHornet0618

No, they're all the same - at least to my knowledge. Like Eddie said, the new 8 speed auto is excellent and available in all years of the JL from 2018 to now. I plan on getting the 3.0L EcoDiesel JL, and that was available starting in the 2019 model year. A used JL with the tried and true 3.6L and the awesome 8 speed auto is an excellent investment in my opinion.

And x2 on not buying a Jeep from a dealer that has mixed gears on it. Shady.
Yeh I don't think the mixed gears is a good idea. We do get snow here, so we do need 4wheel drive. Just convincing the wife on one she fell in love with and why we don't need it is the challenge 😂.

Top Bottom