Heater Control Binding

jfdatlaw

I've had a long term issue with my JK where the heater control binds and has to be replaced. Over the years, I've had the cables to the knobs and heater control replaced a number of times and even the entire dash removed for replacement of the heater core. After replacing just the heater control box several times, the dealer claimed the core leaks coolant which eats the seals on the doors in the heater control. That was about 5 years ago and now I'm in the same spot with a heater control know that is stuck in one spot.

Have any of you run across this or have any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it right for good?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. My 2007 JK is still working fine. Sounds to me like your dealer didn't do a very good job with their "fix".

Spazbyt

Hooked
I don't have a solution for you but I'm in a similar situation. I have a 2014 with a bad recirculate door that I'm going to have the stealership fix while they are replacing the recalled airbags. Hopefully, it will save me some labor costs. assuming your 2008 even had a the airbag recall.

jfdatlaw

Not being terribly mechanical and with it under warranty, I played along with them but I have found a few videos on this issue. This is the best one that basically shows that the control gets dirty and can be cleaned and put back together. If that works, I'm going to find this guy and send him a thank you. This all started with a light out on the dash and the dealer replaced the perfectly good heater control with one that lasted maybe a year.

Top Bottom