Heading to Taos Jeepless

wjtstudios

Hooked
It’s been one of my wife’s dreams to travel to Taos and in June we are going head there for her birthday, so spending a couple days in a Jeep each way to drive there or me picking her up at the other end isn’t an option. We’re staying at El Monte Sagrado north of town and I’ll be renting a Jeep to run around in. I’ve never been and hate tourist traps. What’s worth seeing and doing around there? We both love the outdoors so hiking and traveling thru the mountains is high on our list!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Check out the Valle Vidal wilderness just north of Taos. Great hiking and scenery. Bring a good camera. The drive south out of Taos takes you through a picturesque canyon. Pack a lunch, plenty of places to sit and commune with nature in great southwest style. If you’re feeling adventurous take a rafting tour. With all the snow we got this year, I’d bet the Taos river will be flowing good.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Awesome and the Taos Adobe, Santa Fe.

Definitely! There aren’t many tourist traps in this area, lots of art galleries, good restaurants, and land is basically high desert that moves into mountains. Santa Fe is about 70 miles south of Taos and totally worth the drive. That’s where I’m at. Valle Vidal is a very nice area, you have to pay to enter and it’s a huge mountainous area about 70 miles north of Taos. June is a great time to visit New Mexico. Your gonna love the weather.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Definitely! There aren’t many tourist traps in this area, lots of art galleries, good restaurants, and land is basically high desert that moves into mountains. Santa Fe is about 70 miles south of Taos and totally worth the drive. That’s where I’m at. Valle Vidal is a very nice area, you have to pay to enter and it’s a huge mountainous area about 70 miles north of Taos. June is a great time to visit New Mexico. Your gonna love the weather.

Thank you! Great information. We are going to spend at least a day maybe two seeing Santa Fe. The art is one of the biggest reasons she wants to go. That and the scenery.

Yeah, the weather for June looked perfect, that’s why we were shooting for that month to make the run.

Thanks again!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Check out the Valle Vidal wilderness just north of Taos. Great hiking and scenery. Bring a good camera. The drive south out of Taos takes you through a picturesque canyon. Pack a lunch, plenty of places to sit and commune with nature in great southwest style. If you’re feeling adventurous take a rafting tour. With all the snow we got this year, I’d bet the Taos river will be flowing good.

We are definitely looking into rafting if the weather cooperates. I’m really looking forward to this run. Just really wanted to drag the Jeep out there!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Sounds good. A few other things worth mentioning if you’re not familiar with high desert. The weather can be warm in the day but quite cold at night because of the high altitude. Dressing in layers is helpful as there can be as much as 40 degree spread between daytime highs and lows. Also, drink and bring lots os water on hikes. Finally, if you like to drink, be prepared for a quick buzz on alcohol lol. As was said, it’s a great time of year to visit northern NM. You don’t have to travel far to be off the grid and away from tourists.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Sounds good. A few other things worth mentioning if you’re not familiar with high desert. The weather can be warm in the day but quite cold at night because of the high altitude. Dressing in layers is helpful as there can be as much as 40 degree spread between daytime highs and lows. Also, drink and bring lots os water on hikes. Finally, if you like to drink, be prepared for a quick buzz on alcohol lol. As was said, it’s a great time of year to visit northern NM. You don’t have to travel far to be off the grid and away from tourists.

First time, thank you for the insight!

Bear_JT

Hooked

All very good points! Especially with the alcohol, ha!

wjtstudios

Hooked
We made it into Taos last night. I’m not completely jeep less, we rented a JLU with the 2.0 turbo.

IMG_1079.jpg

The 2 liters done well in the elevation, but I don’t like the way it accelerates. When the turbos spool up while your accelerating, it cause the Jeep to jump forward. Something I’m sure you’d get use to.

We toured much of Taos and Taos Pueblo today. An amazing amount of history.

IMG_1082.jpg

Tomorrow we are going to hit Santa Fe and Saturday we’ll do the enchanted circle and hit Red River.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

Top Bottom