Hazards of Exploring Alone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t know if any of you saw this but I thought it was a good reminder to those of you who like to explore alone.

Yes, it was a Subaru but tires can blow out on any rig.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Yeah I read way to many stories about adventuring by oneself going wrong. I don't do much adventuring alone anymore, but if I do I am usually over prepared. Lessons learned over the years.

jdofmemi

What a shame.

As one who has been to many remote places, many times alone, it pays to be prepared, but no amount of preparation can account for all possible sources of trouble.

It is not clear in the article if they were hiking out due to the two flats, or if they were hiking to a pre planned camping destination, and had trouble there, such as a fall or something.

Best to go with friends, but if you are going solo, be sure to be as prepared as possible, and have someone who knows where you are going, and when you are coming back, so it is not a week before someone starts looking for you.

If you are farther that visible range from help, STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE!

More people die hiking out for help than waiting for help.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What a shame.

As one who has been to many remote places, many times alone, it pays to be prepared, but no amount of preparation can account for all possible sources of trouble.

It is not clear in the article if they were hiking out due to the two flats, or if they were hiking to a pre planned camping destination, and had trouble there, such as a fall or something.

Best to go with friends, but if you are going solo, be sure to be as prepared as possible, and have someone who knows where you are going, and when you are coming back, so it is not a week before someone starts looking for you.

If you are farther that visible range from help, STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE!

More people die hiking out for help than waiting for help.
Judging by the note they left in the car it appears as though they were walking due to the flats. I just don’t get why people won’t just drive in the wheel. I would rather fuck a wheel up or do even more damage than die but that’s maybe just me.

jdofmemi

Judging by the note they left in the car it appears as though they were walking due to the flats. I just don’t get why people won’t just drive in the wheel. I would rather fuck a wheel up or do even more damage than die but that’s maybe just me.
That is the logical first thought, but for the given destination. That is why I think there may be more to it, but only the two involved know, and sadly one of them is not here to tell anyone.

I also question things "reported" as very little checking of facts happens anymore.

benatc1

Hooked
I guess you never know when it's going to get bad out there, do the best you can to prepare, I agree with Adam though, take it as far as you can on the rim, but who knows what really went down.

Brute

Hooked
I often go exploring, wheeling, camping and fishing by myself. It requires a more thorough attention to detail and preparedness...and always tell someone where you are going and when you plan on coming back....and always carry a Delorme (now Garmin) InReach wherever I go...

Back in the day, I did the majority of my diving and spearfishing alone...which is considered a taboo. I always felt it made me a much more aware and cautious diver, as being self reliant and being ready to execute self rescue at any given moment requires an immediate plan of action...there can be no hesitation, similar to a failed hill climb in your rig...you just don’t stomp on the brake and say “Oh Shit!”...one needs to immediately throw it into reverse and drive down backwards...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the problem is that people like this don't actually think that their lives are in danger. We've come across more than our fair share of people out on the trail who were in real trouble but insisted that they weren't. There have been times where we almost had to force these people to follow us out. People who truly understand the situation they're in tend to do what's needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
😔
Unfortunately this happens way too often. A personal locating beacon should be a required item if your out and about in Death Valley. Especially solo. Just don’t rely on it
Funny thing is, unlike a decade or two ago, Death Valley is crawling with people and it sucks. The odds of you running into someone regardless of where you are in the park is pretty high so long as you are on a designated trail. It goes with out saying that staying with your vehicle is the single best thing you can do in a place like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of Subaru's, my brother in law has one - an electric one and because of all its batteries, it didn't come with a spare tire. He found this out after exploring out in Nevada like these people and got a flat. When he opened his truck to get the spare, all he found was a can of Fix-a-Flat. LOL

Speaking of Subaru's, my brother in law has one - an electric one and because of all its batteries, it didn't come with a spare tire. He found this out after exploring out in Nevada like these people and got a flat. When he opened his truck to get the spare, all he found was a can of Fix-a-Flat. LOL
That’s becoming pretty common of all cars now. Space saver spares or a pump and sealant. AAA is ruining car ownership.

Funny thing is, unlike a decade or two ago, Death Valley is crawling with people and it sucks. The odds of you running into someone regardless of where you are in the park is pretty high so long as you are on a designated trail. It goes with out saying that staying with your vehicle is the single best thing you can do in a place like that.
Absolutely. Panic really fucks with people into making horrible decisions.

Top Bottom