Hard top leak 2012 jkr

I searched here on the forum for anything related, but my hardtop just started leaking :gaah:. It's weird because it has been raining here in So Cal and I haven't seen any leaks. But with the rain today, it started leaking through. I tried putting a plastic trash bag where I saw leaking, but it only helped a little bit. Anyone have any solutions?

JethroJK

I have read that sometimes people tighten them too much and they recommend taking the freedom tops off make sure a gasket isn't bent over or damaged and tighten down hand tight but not too tight. Try that and I hope it helps.

Well, on my way to work today, I hit the brakes hard and it started dripping right above my radio. Then I checked it out and there was water on the back seat to. When I took the tops off, I only noticed it was a little wet right In the middle back side of the top where the two tops meet. Or at the "T".

When I went to take the top off, I did notice my passenger side was screwed in a little tight. When I screwed them back in, I didn't tighten them down as hard so hopefully it does the trick. I checked the seals and nothing looked like it was out of place or torn up. I'll be sure to check on it when it rains again.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Beyrgut

You could always douse the top seams with a water hose to see if it still leaks, I would rather find the leak before a downpour.

orngcrushrgrl

Clean your freedom's seams on the top and on your jeep, make sure your fittment is correct, make sure notjing is bent over, cracked or missing, and make sure it's installed properly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clean your freedom's seams on the top and on your jeep, make sure your fittment is correct, make sure notjing is bent over, cracked or missing, and make sure it's installed properly.

What she said. remove the panels, clean all the seam seals and double check to make sure none of them are getting pinched funny, folded or bents.

I will definitely do that today and report back. I didn't even think to check it with a garden hose. Better to be safe than wet. Thanks

Since you are going to have the freedom tops out look at the condition of the weatherstripping and put a little silicone grease on the entire seal. if you live in a semi arid climate the seals will dry out and become flat. As a helicopter mechanic for the US Navy we use petrolium jelly on the avionics nose seal.

I finally had a chance today to check everything out. The only place the seal looked a little worn was right at the middle on the windshield where the passenger roof meets it. I cleaned them up with just some armor all cleaning wipes and put the tops back on. Doused the roof with a hose and drove around two times and no leaks. I didn't tighten down the screws as tight either so that might have helped to. Putting silicone grease on them sounds like a good idea to. I'll be sure to put some on soon. I guess the real test will be later this week when it starts raining again. Thanks everyone for the input.

Dave_g

after I Plasti dipped my hard top insides, I had wind leakage and a slight drip in the morning from the fog, and figured out I had tightened the back too much so I let the screws off just a bit and it went away.

Halas

My neighbor has a 2012 that was leaking also but he did not find out from a drip.

He found out when he pulled out his floor mats and found that his floors were wet. Tracked down the leak and found that it was the the gasket in the hardtop. Took it to the dealer and they said that they see this in the newer ones where the gaskets are bad.

They replaced it for free and the problem is solved.

My neighbor has a 2012 that was leaking also but he did not find out from a drip.

He found out when he pulled out his floor mats and found that his floors were wet. Tracked down the leak and found that it was the the gasket in the hardtop. Took it to the dealer and they said that they see this in the newer ones where the gaskets are bad.

They replaced it for free and the problem is solved.

I better check this out. I believe it's supposed to rain here tomorrow or the next day. Thanks:thumb:

Halas

It is new, just ask the dealer.
They really did not make that big of a deal of it.

It is easy for them to replace.

Miss Boss

I have a 2013 JKUR -
It snowed here Monday and melted really fast, then rained... Monday afternoon found a decent amount of water in the front floor board, drivers side. :( Soaked up what I could and used the shop vac to get some more out, but noticed yesterday that it was still wet (and it has not rained since). I pulled up the carpet yesterday and dried it all up.
Think I found the problem - the seal on the door was bent which I think was redirecting the water back in, running down the door and right in to the floor. Picture attached to show what I've done for now... it looks like the seal just needs to be bent back in the right direction. I compared it w/the passenger side. Any suggestions on how to make it stay like this (without using the tape). I assume that once it's like this for a while, it should stay, right? :idontknow:
20130328_163209.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
These issues on newer JKs should all be covered under warranty if for the original top/door seals. I'd take it to the dealer and have them replace the seals.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 2013 JKUR -
It snowed here Monday and melted really fast, then rained... Monday afternoon found a decent amount of water in the front floor board, drivers side. :( Soaked up what I could and used the shop vac to get some more out, but noticed yesterday that it was still wet (and it has not rained since). I pulled up the carpet yesterday and dried it all up.
Think I found the problem - the seal on the door was bent which I think was redirecting the water back in, running down the door and right in to the floor. Picture attached to show what I've done for now... it looks like the seal just needs to be bent back in the right direction. I compared it w/the passenger side. Any suggestions on how to make it stay like this (without using the tape). I assume that once it's like this for a while, it should stay, right? :idontknow:
View attachment 21566

These issues on newer JKs should all be covered under warranty if for the original top/door seals. I'd take it to the dealer and have them replace the seals.

I know last year there was a recall on the seals for my jeep (2011) and i had the same problem before that. dealer replaced the seals all around for free obviously. i would go the deals like JAGS said

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Although I haven't had any leaks yet on my 2012 (doesn't rain much here) I took a hard look at the seals around the doors and tailgate. They definitely were not installed at the factory with care and consistency. You know, like a wobbly line from a pinstriper. Oops! I did have one t-top leak at a car wash but it was my fault. After watching a Teraflex video that instructed to first clamp the L-shaped clamps and then the screw downs it hasn't happened again. I expect to have trouble down the road though. It's just the nature of the beast.:yup:

Miss Boss

Although I haven't had any leaks yet on my 2012 (doesn't rain much here) I took a hard look at the seals around the doors and tailgate. They definitely were not installed at the factory with care and consistency. You know, like a wobbly line from a pinstriper. Oops! I did have one t-top leak at a car wash but it was my fault. After watching a Teraflex video that instructed to first clamp the L-shaped clamps and then the screw downs it hasn't happened again. I expect to have trouble down the road though. It's just the nature of the beast.:yup:

Yup! Luckily, it just takes some clean up and a little investigation to figure out where it's coming from. It's weird b/c it had already rained several times before Mondays leak and I hadn't had issues, so somehow the seal just got a little bent.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom