Gladiator pinging noise while scaling a high grade at low speed

adrianmb1988

Hi all, this last Sunday I was driving up the mountains, Its a paved road; steep, but nothing crazy, and at low speeds just cruising maybe under 20 mph, I started hearing a pinging noise, ive heard this noise before in my manual TJ when my gear was too high and the jeep wanted to cut out. So my question is; is this basically the Automatic trans being kinda laggy on the downshift? Any ideas?

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all, this last Sunday I was driving up the mountains, Its a paved road; steep, but nothing crazy, and at low speeds just cruising maybe under 20 mph, I started hearing a pinging noise, ive heard this noise before in my manual TJ when my gear was too high and the jeep wanted to cut out. So my question is; is this basically the Automatic trans being kinda laggy on the downshift? Any ideas?
I just started noticing this on mine about a week ago. 23k on the odometer. A lot of hills where I live and I especially notice it right after I decelerate, make a turn, and then accelerate again. ONLY UPHILL though. It only pings for a second or two just as I'm starting to accelerate. I've had the truck almost 2 years and just started noticing it. I'm going to throw some 91 octane in on the next fill up just to see what happens.

adrianmb1988

I have about 1200 miles on mine, I was guessing the trans may have been in too high of a gear, and or I wasn't giving the jeep enough fuel to make the grade confidently. It reminded me of my TJ when I would shift into to high of a gear and it would kinda hesitate wanting to shut off when I would be in the sand dunes.

WJCO

Meme King
I have about 1200 miles on mine, I was guessing the trans may have been in too high of a gear, and or I wasn't giving the jeep enough fuel to make the grade confidently. It reminded me of my TJ when I would shift into to high of a gear and it would kinda hesitate wanting to shut off when I would be in the sand dunes.
Next time it happens, I'll look down and see what gear I'm in and what MPH I'm at. Could be a case of too high of a gear I guess.

Top Bottom