Gear needed for extended off-roading trips

RCC

As I expect to pull the trigger on my build components in the next few days I have decided to start making a list of things I need to buy to keep in my JT for repairs and getting out of stuck situations.

Things I already have-
Tools
Impact

I need advice on a quality jack (is a bottle jack enough or is a hi-lift needed) and recovery gear.

Would you guys in the know help a new guy out with what I need to get started?

Also anything else I should be thinking about?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A Hi-Lift is only as good as your ability to use it on your Jeep. Depending on what kind of bumpers and or rocker guards you have, you may find that you can't even use it. A bottle jack is what I would recommend you carry. Depending on what you're planning on doing, fluids. It's the one thing most people don't even think about but is also the one thing you can't make, fake or macguyver.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Depending on what you're planning on doing, fluids. It's the one thing most people don't even think about but is also the one thing you can't make, fake or macguyver.
Amen to that. Some quarts of ATF would have been all that was needed one day to get a friend of mine home. He broke a trans cooler line. Instead it turned into an all day wait for the tow truck and had to drive my Jeep miles away to get cell coverage to call the two truck and get updates every hour or so. Not to mention a 1000 degrees of various winch moves to get him off the trail so we were out of the way. We got the line repaired but with no fluid, Jeep wasn't going anywhere.

Upvote 0

RCC

A Hi-Lift is only as good as your ability to use it on your Jeep. Depending on what kind of bumpers and or rocker guards you have, you may find that you can't even use it. A bottle jack is what I would recommend you carry. Depending on what you're planning on doing, fluids. It's the one thing most people don't even think about but is also the one thing you can't make, fake or macguyver.

I guess this is a case of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" as my JT build very closely mimics yours.

Upvote 0
Let’s start with what do you know how to do? Then you can decide from there what you need to carry. Hi lift is a great multi purpose tool, that has been replaced by safer and easier things like winches and hydraulic jacks.

Upvote 0

RCC

Let’s start with what do you know how to do? Then you can decide from there what you need to carry. Hi lift is a great multi purpose tool, that has been replaced by safer and easier things like winches and hydraulic jacks.
I don’t understand your question.

Between working construction for 30 years and running a farm I know how to do a lot.

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked

Between working construction for 30 years and running a farm I know how to do a lot.
He’s just saying, a lot of people just go out and buy stuff they really do ever use.

Hi-lifts are very versatile jacks but they don’t work well for stock vehicles. Most do not have any jack points to lift from. but as you build your Jeep up, you can start being able to using them on aftermarket rock rails and bumpers as lift points for it. But they do not replace a good bottle jack or floor jack. I carry a pro eagle floor jack mounted in the back of my Jeep. The biggest advantage of those, other than being a lot safer than a bottle jack, is that they only have a 2” tongue. You can slide it easily under an axle on uneven terrain.

I also carry tools and parts specific to my Jeep. Once you start building it up and you needed a certain socket or wrench to do what you did, make sure pack that with you on the trail. Tool rolls are great to keep everything organized and quiet going down the trail. Also pack radiator, motor oil, gear oil, and brake fluid along with an extra brake line.

And then food and fluids for you for the run. ARB frigs are the best in my opinion to keep things cool.

hope this helps answer your questions

Upvote 0

This is the Internet. I dunno you, your background, or your story, or how hard you’re going to beat the piss out of the thing. All I know is that you’re asking what to carry with you for long trips. You can carry an entire trailer with enough parts to build a second vehicle, but if the most you know how to do is swap a u joint, it’s really not worth carrying all the extra is it? So once you know what you’re able to do on the side of the road, you can decide what extras you need- specific tools - parts -welder? Etc.

Upvote 0

RCC

This is the Internet. I dunno you, your background, or your story, or how hard you’re going to beat the piss out of the thing. All I know is that you’re asking what to carry with you for long trips. You can carry an entire trailer with enough parts to build a second vehicle, but if the most you know how to do is swap a u joint, it’s really not worth carrying all the extra is it? So once you know what you’re able to do on the side of the road, you can decide what extras you need- specific tools - parts -welder? Etc.

Understood.

I was looking for the basics on what most people carry in their vehicle when going off-roading.

Upvote 0

RCC

Heres another noob question.

I have an Evo half rack coming for my JT. I am looking to buy a few rotopax gas cans to carry with me. I see the mounts for the rotopax but I do not see the horizontal brackets that bolts to the Evo rack. Are people making these themselves or are they available for purchase?

Upvote 0

Brute

Hooked
There is a thread showing basic tools, fluids, and recovery gear...I believe.

besides your basic hand tools, and fluids your Jeep needs...don’t forget a tire repair kit...several flashlights (if you only carry one, it probably won’t work when you need it)...lots and different sized zip ties; self sealing silicone rescue tape; bailing wire; some type of JB Weld for metal and plastic; several vise grips, big & small; asst nuts, bolts & washers; toilet paper, shovel or wag bag (depending on where you wheel); spill kit; lots of water and beer (sometimes beer is better than money)...etc, etc...

Upvote 0

AZVAJKU

Hooked
If you wheel alone, a communication device that is not reliant on cell service can be a life saver. The ability to contact a friend for help cannot be overstated.

Upvote 0

RCC

If you wheel alone, a communication device that is not reliant on cell service can be a life saver. The ability to contact a friend for help cannot be overstated.

I was planning on putting a CB in the JT. Is there a certain brand I should be looking at?

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
A CB is as only as good as the person which is in range and listening. CB range is estimated at 1 to 5 miles in good conditions.
I’m a straight line. Realistic in a group, one person will have a good one and the rest will only get a few hundred feet range.

Reactions: RCC
Upvote 0
Top Bottom