Front Locker for JL

fachidsey0144

Hey all, I am considering a front locker for my wife's 21 JL Oscar Mike edition wrangler. I have pulled the build sheet for it, which states that it is a Dana M186 front axle with an open diff.

One that I have in the consideration bucket is Torq https://www.torqmasters.com/torq_locker_tl_canam_front_differential_locker

Anybody have experience with this company?
Or recommendations for other to consider I personally, dont mind spending more as long as it is American made and ideally sourced.

Thanks in Advance.

JimLee

Hooked
All JL's have BLD, it requires a bit of spin to engage but works pretty well (but you are still just spinning one wheel, at least it's the side with traction). I don't know if I could bring myself to spend the money upgrading a M186, while beefier than the old Dana 30, I would worry about the stresses added to the tubes and axleshafts if you are in a situation where an locker is actually needed, especially with bigger tires. Just my opinion, i'm sure there will be plenty of others, I personally chose to replace my M186, also not an idea everyone would agree with.

fachidsey0144

All JL's have BLD, it requires a bit of spin to engage but works pretty well (but you are still just spinning one wheel, at least it's the side with traction). I don't know if I could bring myself to spend the money upgrading a M186, while beefier than the old Dana 30, I would worry about the stresses added to the tubes and axleshafts if you are in a situation where an locker is actually needed, especially with bigger tires. Just my opinion, i'm sure there will be plenty of others, I personally chose to replace my M186, also not an idea everyone would agree with.
For now, I want to keep the axles stock, I dont want to turn this into a 1 ton axle build, which I would certainly entertain if it were not a daily driver. I know there is some middle ground in there, just not sure where that would land without a full Axle swap. what is a BLD? we have noticed that when we were on the Chinaman Gultch trail that if one of the front tires spun the other would engage, I was just not sure what was causing that entirely. I figured BLD out (Brake Lock Diff)

JimLee

Hooked
For now, I want to keep the axles stock, I dont want to turn this into a 1 ton axle build, which I would certainly entertain if it were not a daily driver. I know there is some middle ground in there, just not sure where that would land without a full Axle swap. what is a BLD? we have noticed that when we were on the Chinaman Gultch trail that if one of the front tires spun the other would engage, I was just not sure what was causing that entirely.
I get it. BLD is brake locking differential. When the wheel speed sensors detect a certain about of spin on one side it applies the brake to that side transferring the power to the opposite wheel. If you are going to install an auto locker on the stock M186 with bigger tires ( looks like you are on 35's at least) I would take it easy on the skinny pedal in rough stuff at least. The gears in those things are pretty small compared to 44's and 60's (which is something I should have mentioned in my original post, sorry trying to multi task).

fachidsey0144

At this Rate you guys are going to pay for the Rubicon Axle.. Up to .04 already. Thanks, I will look around see if I can find one in the area.

Top Bottom