Freedom Panel Screws?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Having just got my JKU 5 weeks ago I've only had the front panels from my hard top off a few times. My question is do you always replace the 2 long back screws every time you put the panels back on? It seems like the 5 latches would be enough. What's your experience been?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Having just got my JKU 5 weeks ago I've only had the front panels from my hard top off a few times. My question is do you always replace the 2 long back screws every time you put the panels back on? It seems like the 5 latches would be enough. What's your experience been?

Are you talking about the screws with the cups on them that go up in the b piller? If so, yes. They jeep the top from leaking when it rains. If those aren't what your talking about, then they are not on my jeep. These "cup bolts" are the only threaded connection for the freedom panels on my 2015

mcgyvr

I always put the screws back and couldn't even close all the latches without the screws sucking it down into all the weatherstripping..
It takes 30 seconds.. Do it :bleh:

KYJeff

Didn't tighten them up once and they leaked during some heavy rain. I would think you should have them in while driving and I always do.

el_chupo_

Mine have not been in since I got the Jeep (I bought it used, and they were in the cubby in the back, not installed then either). I still have my panels. No rattles, noises, or indication of a problem YMMV, of course.

Also, my freedom panels leak. Its in the front, so I doubt that matters much, but just an FYI.

*Please ignore me and my advice, clearly I should have had these in according to the posts...*

Last edited:

el_chupo_

Are you talking about the screws with the cups on them that go up in the b piller? If so, yes. They jeep the top from leaking when it rains. If those aren't what your talking about, then they are not on my jeep. These "cup bolts" are the only threaded connection for the freedom panels on my 2015

Didn't tighten them up once and they leaked during some heavy rain. I would think you should have them in while driving and I always do.

Well, now I have to go track those things down...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Unless you wish to see them take flight, it would be wise to secure them with said 'long black screws'.

I always put the screws back and couldn't even close all the latches without the screws sucking it down into all the weatherstripping..
It takes 30 seconds.. Do it :bleh:

Thanks! I'm glad I asked! I never thought about wind buffering only leaking.

dmpowder

I only put mine back for the winter months, same with the door nuts. Never had a problem with leaks.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I pulled mine out on 7-3-14, the day I bought the jeep, and haven't installed them since. No leaks or anything.

Hot94Z28

I have left mine out for the last three weeks and no issues. I have been through a really windy day and a heavy rain day and no issues. It does make taking the panels off easier.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I have a SpiderWebShade installed under my hardtop and while it has grommet holes for those, I can never seem to line them up.

I only attach the freedom panels under the sun visor and in the rear on the sides, but not the middle. Don't use the screws and while there is a little lift to the panel in the middle, I've never had them leak. That seems to be a case-by-case basis though so try leaving them out and pull out the old garden hose and see what happens. Then you'll know.

explorebc4x4

I haven't had mine in for about a year or so now, and no issues with water coming in anywhere. And I live in Vancouver BC so I see lots of rain!

ktreat

I went a month or so without mine and nothing bad happened, though I could have just been lucky. However, I tend to use them since they don't take that long to put back on.

jeeeep

Hooked
on my 2010 they've been out since 2010 no issues, no leaks, no wind issues and I've been in winds heavy enough to make semi's pull over and park.

if you decide to keep them in, do not tighten them too much, they do nothing for a leaking top. if you tighten them too much it pulls the front edges up on the panel and you will leak.

Chupo, pull your panels off and make sure the rubber seal is flat along the front edge, if you rolled the seal over putting the tops on they will leak.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
if you decide to keep them in, do not tighten them too much, they do nothing for a leaking top. if you tighten them too much it pulls the front edges up on the panel and you will leak.

I've also heard of people busting their top and/or causing those bolts to poke through their top by over tightening them.

Top Bottom