Fixing stiff ride, wandering and loose steering.

wagonwheel

I bought this JKUR used about a month ago. it came with an AEV 3.5" lift, in which i have been less than happy with. it rode incredibly stiff on and off road and made the JEEP miserable to drive. When i called AEV for suggestions, there reply was to throw 500 lbs of rock in the back. (That wasn't going to work for me). the JEEP also had some pretty significant wandering issues. Over the weekend i would find it to be a combination of incorrectly installed parts, mis alignment and worn parts.
  • installed EVO 4" plush ride springs
  • Installed FOX 2.0
  • installed JKS track bar
  • installed 1 ton steering from RuffStuff
I really wanted to see how each one of these individually effected the JEEP individually, so i test drove the jeep after each install to see what affected what the most. (Maybe this should be its own thread now that im thinking about it.)

This a reminder to ALWAYS go through a used JEEP and inspect everything. The geometry correction brackets were set to 2.5" lift even though this was a 3.5" kit. same with the rear track bar.

top hole is for 2.5"
Middle hole is 3.5"
lower hole is 4.5"

1.jpg

These holes are responsible for caster
11.jpg

Before i moved the location to the lower hole.
6.jpg

After i moved the control to the proper hole it changed the caster to 6 degrees. obviously this fixed a lot of wandering.
9.jpg

I aligned the rest of the front end. i replaced the weak factory track bar with a JKS tract bar and centered the JEEP. it was shocking to me how weak the factory sway and tract bar are.
5.jpg

I Then moved on to TOE and so forth. almost all the wandering was gone now. but it still felt "loose" or "bendy" as my daughter calls it. so i put an order into RuffStuff and got the 1 ton steering kit. and got to do the alignment all over again lol. Its always a little nerve racking drilling into hard parts of the jeep. take your time and make sure your bit sharp, your using cutting oil and your drills chuck is straight.

3.jpg

Apply anti sieze and Slip in the tapered sleeve. it should be snug but not so tight you have to beat it in
4.jpg

Next was the pitman arm. i opted to reem the pitman arm with a reeming bit instead of using a sleeve. the reason being is if you use a sleeve on the pitman arm you have to weld the sleeve to the arm. seems like a lot of excessive work for a weaker result than reeming the arm. That damn Pitman arm was a beast to get off. i suspected this would be the case so i ordered a used one and reemed the the used incase i destroyed this one during the removal process
2.jpg

The end result is so fun to look at :)

7.jpg

And im pretty sure my helper will sleep good tonight.

10.jpg

Conclusion. The AEV lift isnt for me. ill be replacing it piece by piece as finances free up. the EVO springs made a huge difference and the FOX shocks made an equally big difference in ride quality. it makes the JEEP soooo much more comfortable to drive. the alignment issues made ALL OF the wandering issues go away. the sluggish and loose sterring was all corrected by 1 ton steering. i think i spent my budget well for what i was trying to accomplish. anyways thanks for letting me blog a bit about it

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting up your experiences. Ride quality is 100% subjective and for me, I would have to agree with you that AEV kits tend to ride on the firm side. Of course, they sell their kits as being made for overlanding and that means, carrying a lot of weight and without sagging. Only problem is, you can't do that without running coils with really stiff springs or dual rate/triple rate/variable rate springs with a side meant to carry weight. As in, a harsh ride.

Good luck in getting the other stuff fixed. Sounds like you've already got a good handle on things.

BTW, none of your pics came up.

wagonwheel

Thanks for posting up your experiences. Ride quality is 100% subjective and for me, I would have to agree with you that AEV kits tend to ride on the firm side. Of course, they sell their kits as being made for overlanding and that means, carrying a lot of weight and without sagging. Only problem is, you can't do that without running coils with really stiff springs or dual rate/triple rate/variable rate springs with a side meant to carry weight. As in, a harsh ride.

Good luck in getting the other stuff fixed. Sounds like you've already got a good handle on things.

BTW, none of your pics came up.

well sun of a gun...do the pics show up now?

Top Bottom