First look at the Black Hills SD

desertrunner

So I got my first crack at the black hills this weekend. We went out and explored the bogus jim area which from my research looked to have 3 named trails all rated a 6/10. Got milk, Jake, and Fruity Pebbles.
We started out by trying to find got milk which according my my maps and research I found the area but by no means of sanity would anyone rate that a 6/10. It's an easy 9+ or at least the 1mile section I hiked was a 9+. It was marked as a vehicle trail tagged extreme difficulty and honestly Ive hiked Carnage canyon in CO and it's pretty dang close. Photos to come. Finding other youtube videos of got milk I either wasn't in the right spot or the videos were not actually on that trail. Idk.

The second area we checked out was fruity pebbles and honestly there was still enough snow around that I'm not too sure we really found a trail as much as just a little bit rougher road.

Jake was the last trail we went looking for and finally found some really good wheeling. The main road paralles basically a creek bed that is the trail. The 6/10 rating makes sense on that one and it gave my little 2 dr a run for it's money. Or at least as far as I was willing to push it with my wife spotting and being solo on the trail. The snow an mud made it a bit more of a challenge and I ended up having to pull cable to winch up one climb I just couldn't get traction.

Overall I was impressed that we found some legit wheeling this early in the season. And I'm sold it's 100% true South Dakota has some awesome wheeling and even in just the small area I tried has stuff that's easy to cruise and stuff that will give buggies on 40s a hard time.
Pics to follow when I can gather them all up

Slimebones

So I got my first crack at the black hills this weekend. We went out and explored the bogus jim area which from my research looked to have 3 named trails all rated a 6/10. Got milk, Jake, and Fruity Pebbles.
We started out by trying to find got milk which according my my maps and research I found the area but by no means of sanity would anyone rate that a 6/10. It's an easy 9+ or at least the 1mile section I hiked was a 9+. It was marked as a vehicle trail tagged extreme difficulty and honestly Ive hiked Carnage canyon in CO and it's pretty dang close. Photos to come. Finding other youtube videos of got milk I either wasn't in the right spot or the videos were not actually on that trail. Idk.

The second area we checked out was fruity pebbles and honestly there was still enough snow around that I'm not too sure we really found a trail as much as just a little bit rougher road.

Jake was the last trail we went looking for and finally found some really good wheeling. The main road paralles basically a creek bed that is the trail. The 6/10 rating makes sense on that one and it gave my little 2 dr a run for it's money. Or at least as far as I was willing to push it with my wife spotting and being solo on the trail. The snow an mud made it a bit more of a challenge and I ended up having to pull cable to winch up one climb I just couldn't get traction.

Overall I was impressed that we found some legit wheeling this early in the season. And I'm sold it's 100% true South Dakota has some awesome wheeling and even in just the small area I tried has stuff that's easy to cruise and stuff that will give buggies on 40s a hard time.
Pics to follow when I can gather them all up
Thanks for the report. Been thinking of running over there myself.

desertrunner

Ok so this was the trail I thought was got milk. Maybe it is maybe it's not idk. Last pic is a good size reference for how big all those boulders are. And that trail continues like that for I believe 1.5mi based on the OnX map 20210417_111110.jpg 20210417_111121.jpg 20210417_111155.jpg 20210417_111231.jpg 20210417_111358.jpg 20210417_112244.jpg

desertrunner

Here are some more from the rest of the trip. Most the ones of my 2dr is on sections of jake. The pics of my buddies Colorado is just on the roads to get to those trails. overall great trip can't wait to explore more and hopefully get out with some better built up rigs and knowledge of the area. 20210417_130732.jpg 20210417_141119.jpg 20210417_143222.jpg 20210417_145144.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0026.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0005.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0015.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0027.jpg IMG-20210417-WA0018.jpg

desertrunner

I think I see a line in there, somewhere
Oh it's definitely doable, you can see tire marks and skid scrapes and there are plenty of places to winch if you need it. But I have never done something like that let alone with just my wife spotting and my recovery buddy in a colorado haha. I would love to come out at watch some people take that on though. I would definitely nut up and give it a go if I had someone with that kind of experience to spot me. I would surly hit some doors and quarter panels doing it though

wjtstudios

Hooked
Oh it's definitely doable, you can see tire marks and skid scrapes and there are plenty of places to winch if you need it. But I have never done something like that let alone with just my wife spotting and my recovery buddy in a colorado haha. I would love to come out at watch some people take that on though. I would definitely nut up and give it a go if I had someone with that kind of experience to spot me. I would surly hit some doors and quarter panels doing it though
Calling Byron!!

Robar

The Enforcer
Looks like a fun trip. Knowing you limits is a good thing.

desertrunner

Welp broke out the pressure washer to get all the mud off and turns out stock rear lower control arms don't hold up to rocks too well haha 20210421_203139.jpg 20210421_203325.jpg 20210421_203217.jpg

Top Bottom