Finally fixed rough idle and misfire

Judesign

Caught the Bug
After a week at the dealer and them saying 'we can't recreate the problem' I picked my JEEP up and about 10 miles away the same hesitation I've had comes back and turns into misfires on cylinder 2 and 5. Limped home and pulled the easily accessible plug wires to find this. Replaced the coil pack (wires and plugs tomorrow) and it rides like new with no misfires.

Lol I know I know cool story bro but it's frustrating to experience that shitty of service from someone. IMG_0133.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Love when guys like you can fix what the dealership insists they are unable to recreate. Nice job :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Some techs just don't know how to diagnose an issue. I'm glad your were able to figure out it was just a coil pack that needed to be replaced!!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I'm just shocked I guess. I met the 'mechanic' myself, ase certified etc etc. seemed like he knew what he was doing. the coil pack literally sits on top where you can just pull a wire and look. Owell. Do any of you guys with experience suggest doing anything else? Or should i just replace the wires and plugs and call it fixed?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Did that one. Considered the egr valve as well but in my noobness and watching YouTube videos and reading I found a scan tool with mode 6 data that shows my egr passing. Changing the pcv definitely cleaned up my long term and short term fuel trim but didn't help the misfires. Really appreciate the help guys and at least this might help someone like me to take a few minutes and logically look over things it could be before just blindly turning it over to the dealership.

love2wheel

What's funny, is even with all of their experience, dealer technicians rely heavily on their flow charts. From my my experience as a dealer employee. Hell, they used to come in the parts department for new parts to help them diagnose. A lot of times even with these high tech vehicles it's the older and easier parts causing the problem. Had a problem years ago with my business truck. Front brakes were doing all the work. Abs wouldn't work. No codes on cup. Went through two complete brake changes. Pads, calipers, hoses, rotors. Took it to the Chevy dealer. They had it for several hours. They could duplicate it. But couldn't find the cause. They wanted to change Abs module. Needless to say I ended up changing a fourteen dollar rear Abs sensor in the transmission. And was fixed.

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

love2wheel

What's funny, is even with all of their experience, dealer technicians rely heavily on their flow charts. From my my experience as a dealer employee. Hell, they used to come in the parts department for new parts to help them diagnose. A lot of times even with these high tech vehicles it's the older and easier parts causing the problem. Had a problem years ago with my business truck. Front brakes were doing all the work. Abs wouldn't work. No codes on cup. Went through two complete brake changes. Pads, calipers, hoses, rotors. Took it to the Chevy dealer. They had it for several hours. They could duplicate it. But couldn't find the cause. They wanted to change Abs module. Needless to say I ended up changing a fourteen dollar rear Abs sensor in the transmission. And was fixed.

Cpu not cup. I hate auto correct.

Top Bottom