F-Cracker the Gladiator build

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Our Gladiator has been displaying some of the symptoms common with a low auxiliary battery so I decided to just go ahead and replace both batteries. The new aux battery I bought is an Interstate and the main battery is an Odyssey.

In preparation for the install I watched Eddie’s video on the subject and got my mind right.

In turns out the aux battery in the diesel is directly below the main battery and not buried underneath the fuse housing.
1669502901589.jpeg

That was easy!
1669502967951.jpeg

It is not very often when something turns out easier than you expected!

Another plus for the diesel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our Gladiator has been displaying some of the symptoms common with a low auxiliary battery so I decided to just go ahead and replace both batteries. The new aux battery I bought is an Interstate and the main battery is an Odyssey.

In preparation for the install I watched Eddie’s video on the subject and got my mind right.

In turns out the aux battery in the diesel is directly below the main battery and not buried underneath the fuse housing.
View attachment 382410

That was easy!
View attachment 382411

It is not very often when something turns out easier than you expected!

Another plus for the diesel.
How awesome is that!! Thank you for posting this up 👍🏻

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Previously I had installed the EVO Alumilite front bumper on F-Cracker. I liked it and more importantly my lovely wife liked it and since it is her Jeep she got what she wanted. 😉 Keeping the OEM driving lights was also nice.

I also wanted to go with aluminum on the Gladiator in order to keep the front end weight down. The stock front suspension does not have much travel and is prone to hitting the bump stops. I imagine the heavy 3.0L diesel probably doesn’t help that situation.

EVO Alumilite
1671828934036.jpeg

All that said I am a huge fan of the EVO 1/4 Pounder and have one on Big Yellow JK. I love the simplicity of the 1/4 Pounder and how easy it is to operate the winch and properly wind the winch line back in evenly. I also like having front shackles. Since EVO now makes a 1/4 Pounder in aluminum the answer was clear and I ordered an aluminum 1/4 Pounder. I thought about keeping in the raw but decided to paint it black.

The Aluminum 1/4 pounder uses the same steel winch mounting plate as the Alumilite. Of course the stock tow hooks are removed and replaced with spacer plates and then the actual bumper. Another difference between steel and aluminum 1/4 pounder is the ‘tie in brackets’ used between the steel winch plate and the aluminum bumper. The winch is rock solidly anchored between the frame rails of the Jeep. Of course everything fit perfectly as per EVO quality. Eddie’s JL bumper install video was very helpful and provided good guidance on cutting the frame ‘horns’ as well as the trick of running the top bolts from the frame ends out to hold the spacer plates in place. Thanks again Eddie!

1671829970916.jpeg

Finished for now.
However I will be installing 4 small KC’s on an EVO fairlead light mount that will be wired into the driving light switch as well as 2 larger KC’s wired into the AUX switch.

In addition I need to get a proper sized bolt so I can rotate the sway bar disconnect up.

1671830778037.jpeg

1671830834132.jpeg

1671830891493.jpeg

In addition to the bumper I also installed a set of Clayton Off-road coil springs to the front end. These springs are advertised as providing a half-inch boost to the front end as well as reducing the amount of bottoming out. Sorry no pictures, I was in a rush to get the springs installed as it gets dark at about 1630 now days. 😂🤣

I will say the front end sits at least .5-inch higher and rides much firmer. I am happy with the outcome and may install a set on my 392 at some point in the near future.

This should hold us over until we get 40’s, Dana Ultimate 60’s, an EVO Double Throwdown, long arms and rear trailing arms…. 😉

AZVAJKU

Hooked
It was a nice sunny day so I did a little maintenance on F-Cracker.

Diff fluid front and rear.
IMG_1368.jpeg

Unspooled the winch line and rinsed it out. Also wiped down the drum and checked it for any damage.
IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

Lots of funk came out of the rope. This line has never laid on the ground so all this dirt was simply from road dust.
IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

After rinsing I hung it on the fence to dry off and then hand re-spooled it. I will need to wind it under a load some other day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - been shoveling snow for the better part of the day and you're outside working on your Jeep. Awesome (y)

BTW, good call on washing your winch line like that :cool:

Top Bottom