Extended Warranty: Keep it or ditch it??

JethroJK

I never had any real experience with off-roading or Jeeps when I bought my 2008. I figured that since I was so new to it all that I would err on the side of caution. I bought the Rubicon because it already had lockers and all the other bells and whistles designed into it and I wouldn't have to wrestle mentally with additional equipment later.

I also bought the extended lifetime warrantee because I figured this would be my one and only Jeep until I was too old to drive. If there was any design flaw, the dealership would cover it and my wallet would be reasonably safe.

Over the years I have modified my Jeep quite a bit, learned a great deal about the mechanics, and have driven in some very challenging situations. Not to mention the terrific people I have met.

Closing in on 90,000 miles with the Jeep. I have never had a need for the lifetime warrantee. All repairs were for items not covered; items like the clutch and tires that are excluded because of normal wear and tear.

In retrospect: most, if not all, of the possible things that could go wrong would not be as expensive as that warrantee.

p.s. I bought a 2013 Rubicon. The lifetime warrantee was not offered and I didn't take the extended warrantee. Just my decision to face the future knowing that any major failures of the Jeep will come directly out of my wallet and not from a "safety deposit" called a warrantee.

Good points. Thanks. I am all stock right now but I know when the tires need replaced I am going to add something I want and it will include a lift. At that time I feel that Jeep will use anything they can to not claim it under the extended warranty. Thanks again.

JethroJK

I got the extended warranty last June and ditched it in July after having a discussion with the dealership's service advisor. When I brought my JK in for the first complimentary oil change the advisor was all over the vehicle like a tent. When I asked him what he was looking for he said, "Any mods that might void the warranty." That's a red light. They're looking for ways to not get involved in maintaining the warranty. I get it that if I center punch a tree on a muddy hill climb in Indiana it's on me, but I don't want a battle over the factory lockers 'cause I've got 285 tires on it. I don't want to pay for something I hope to never use, and when I need it, I can't use it. I'm gonna use the refund for a starter kitty for mods and repairs.:twocents:

Your experience is exactly why I am worried about keeping it. I feel like it is money better spent somewhere else. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom