EVO Front LCA Adjustment collar question

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have been chasing a slight popping sound when braking and maneuvering .... I removed the frame bolt of the front LCA to grease the JJ's and realized there is play at the front collar. I'm thinking I installed these wrong.... the jamb bolt on the tube is tight to the collar, but I can twist the tube & the collar on the JJ easily.... and there is a little play as well....

I could have swore when installing these that I was supposed to leave a small gap between the collar and the tube.... to leave room for adjustment... is the collar supposed to be tight to the tube? Is this why I am getting play? Should it be spinning freely on the Johnny Joint?

JJoint.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The double adjuster should not move when the pinch bolt is tightened all the way. There is a slit in the adjuster and if you can get it in line with the pinch bolt or close to it, it'll do a better job of holding it in place.

TrailHunter

Hooked
The double adjuster should not move when the pinch bolt is tightened all the way. There is a slit in the adjuster and if you can get it in line with the pinch bolt or close to it, it'll do a better job of holding it in place.

It is in line... I made sure of that... could it be I need to back the collar out of the tube even more so that it pinches tighter?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is in line... I made sure of that... could it be I need to back the collar out of the tube even more so that it pinches tighter?

It really shouldn't make that much of a difference but I suppose it's possible that could help. I would give it a try being that you have room to work with.

Also, just to make sure, that pinch bolt is on as tight as it gets, correct?

TrailHunter

Hooked
It really shouldn't make that much of a difference but I suppose it's possible that could help. I would give it a try being that you have room to work with.

Also, just to make sure, that pinch bolt is on as tight as it gets, correct?

Yeah... don’t think it was as tight as it needed to be... I put it on the bench so I could see it better and Cranked on the pinch bolt... The JJ stopped spinning.. I could probably keep going until the tube touches itself but I’m worried the bolt will snap. But the play is gone... so I should be good. Thanks buddy.

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah... don’t think it was as tight as it needed to be... I put it on the bench so I could see it better and Cranked on the pinch bolt... The JJ stopped spinning.. I could probably keep going until the tube touches itself but I’m worried the bolt will snap. But the play is gone... so I should be good. Thanks buddy.

Yeah, it's needs to be on TIGHT. Glad you got it fixed :thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yeah, it's needs to be on TIGHT. Glad you got it fixed :thumb:

Well, after spending half the day torque checking every bolt on the front end..... and battling with my stupid F'n grease gun ... it came down to 2 -9/16 pinch bolts.... :crazyeyes: Story of my life..

Front end is solid again, no more popping & creaking... Thanks again Eddie... :beer:

Top Bottom