Evo control arm play

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere, but I’ve been getting a lot of front end chatter lately. Recently installed evo enforcer 3” w/ draglink flip. Been getting a little chatter over the past couple weeks. Torqued everything yesterday after 500 miles, got about a 1/4 turn from the lca bolts and maybe a half turn outta the track bar bolts. After the break in re-torque, chatter was more noticeable. Still drives great, but there’s this annoying chatter I’ve been noticing on small bumps. The only thing I could find was a little wear grease on the Johnny joint for both control arms. Seems like there’s a lot of play between the rod end and the lca. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have a video but need to figure out how to post it.

Edit: link to video below

https://youtu.be/Gt6ZR1SljsU

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

kingsize

Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere, but I’ve been getting a lot of front end chatter lately. Recently installed evo enforcer 3” w/ draglink flip. Been getting a little chatter over the past couple weeks. Torqued everything yesterday after 500 miles, got about a 1/4 turn from the lca bolts and maybe a half turn outta the track bar bolts. After the break in re-torque, chatter was more noticeable. Still drives great, but there’s this annoying chatter I’ve been noticing on small bumps. The only thing I could find was a little wear grease on the Johnny joint for both control arms. Seems like there’s a lot of play between the rod end and the lca. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have a video but need to figure out how to post it.

Feel free to give us a call at 714-879-8913

Thank you,
Robert @ EVO MFG.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Feel free to give us a call at 714-879-8913

Thank you,
Robert @ EVO MFG.

Thanks! Yup I called earlier and got a quick run down. Seems simple but I’ll call back again tomorrow after I get a new sawzall blade and get it all taken apart just to make sure I know what I need to do. Thanks again!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
This was incredibly easy fix. I built it up in my head to be much worse than it was. Took about 45 minutes... maybe 20 of that was spent looking for tools because I’m an admitted irresponsible tool owner. Thanks EVO for everything!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
What exactly was it?

Damn I should’ve taken pics along the way. Basically the slit cut through the adjustment sleeve (?) had to be cut maybe an 1/4” longer towards the hex adjustment end. Without the cut, no matter how tight the lock bolt (?) on the top of the control arm was, the adjuster sleeve wouldn’t tighten around the threads of the rod end so it rattled like crazy. Sorry my nomenclature sucks.

WJCO

Meme King
Damn I should’ve taken pics along the way. Basically the slit cut through the adjustment sleeve (?) had to be cut maybe an 1/4” longer towards the hex adjustment end. Without the cut, no matter how tight the lock bolt (?) on the top of the control arm was, the adjuster sleeve wouldn’t tighten around the threads of the rod end so it rattled like crazy. Sorry my nomenclature sucks.

That makes sense. Glad they were able to help you fix it so quickly.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Not gonna find that kind of customer service with teraflex! Glad you got it figured out. I hate those problems that end up being simple fixes but drive us nuts for a while.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Hmmm.... I got a control arm end that the pinch bolt tight won't keep from rotating. So you just sawzall the slit a little more?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hmmm.... I got a control arm end that the pinch bolt tight won't keep from rotating. So you just sawzall the slit a little more?

Yup. The slit on mine stopped at the end of the threads. There’s a very small non-threaded portion before the hex. I just took a sawzall cut it all the way down to the hex portion. It was only about 1/4” or so but it made a world of difference.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Yup. The slit on mine stopped at the end of the threads. There’s a very small non-threaded portion before the hex. I just took a sawzall cut it all the way down to the hex portion. It was only about 1/4” or so but it made a world of difference.

Well went for about at 200 mile drive today and on the way back the control arms were clunking again. When I got home I took mine apart and had the same issue as you. So a short time later with a little help of the sawzall they are tight again :thumb: Hopefully they stay that way now. Thanks for the info Ainokea

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well... it’s back. Took the Jeep out wheeling for the first time on a light trail. Could feel it and hear it again once I got back on pavement but only on slow turns or when coming to a stop. After torquing everything I could hear it more prominently on small bumps, and just louder in general... similar to the last time. I don’t think the lock bolt can physically get any tighter than it is now. Any more ideas? If not I’ll call evo in the morning and see what they recommend.

IMG_5811.jpg

https://youtu.be/juZGS7HFShI

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Well... it’s back. Took the Jeep out wheeling for the first time on a light trail. Could feel it and hear it again once I got back on pavement but only on slow turns or when coming to a stop. After torquing everything I could hear it more prominently on small bumps, and just louder in general... similar to the last time. I don’t think the lock bolt can physically get any tighter than it is now. Any more ideas? If not I’ll call evo in the morning and see what they recommend.

Turn the Johnny Joint in and re-extend the arm to the proper length with the adjustment sleeve so that it isn’t pressed right against the control arm, that may do something for you

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What’s your frame side bolt look like? Are you sure it’s that control arm?

Edit: just saw the first video. Doesn’t look like the same movement as the second.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Turn the Johnny Joint in and re-extend the arm to the proper length with the adjustment sleeve so that it isn’t pressed right against the control arm, that may do something for you

Good idea. I’ll give that a shot in the morning.

Edit: now that I think about it, if I bottom out the rod end, the hex portion of the adjuster will contact the control arm mount under any kind of articulation.

What’s your frame side bolt look like? Are you sure it’s that control arm?

Edit: just saw the first video. Doesn’t look like the same movement as the second.

All bolts were retorqued. Not sure if that’s what you meant about the frame side bolt. It didn’t have any movement.

Correct. In the first video it looked more like a vertical movement. This time it seems more torsional.

Last edited:

AlStew

I’ve got the same noise coming from my driver control arm. It’s not as bad as yours but I’m going to see it I need to cut the slot some more.

I can’t figure out how to upload a video. But I hit it side to side with my hands I can watch the control arm move at the threads.

AlStew

I was able to sort it out just now and hopefully it does not come back.

I cut the slit in the sleeve down a little. During install I aligned the slit in the sleeve and the slit in the control arm. The lock nut clamping force seems to be much greater and I haven't heard a noise yet.

Top Bottom