Evo coilover question

Ddays

Hooked
No it hasn’t limited me in any way. And yes, I’ve not had it out yet. But would more up travel hurt my chances? I’m thinking not and up travel might be helpful when things speed up a bit getting from place to place.

Not sure why such a negative vibe here. Have I hurt someone’s feeling somehow? I didn’t intend to ruffle any feathers. If this can’t be a productive discussion, we can stop typing.

seriously, just get out & see what it can do before you worry so much about what it hypothetically can't do

up-travel isn't king - articulation is

Not sure why such a negative vibe here. Have I hurt someone’s feeling somehow? I didn’t intend to ruffle any feathers. If this can’t be a productive discussion, we can stop typing.
No negative vibes, everyone so far has been trying to save you a buck as you’ve got some quality stuff.

All we’re saying is we understand what you’re saying - but can’t really help you better your need for uptravel without you even being out with it and stuck in a situation where you needed it ever. You just want that extra few inches. Don’t we all. Lol. I mean shit I’d love to have coilovers period.

My Jeep has done everything I’ve thrown at it with its 2.5” lift, 35s, open diffs, and Sport S trim transfer case - even if it wasn’t done smoothly. Just get out there more before you throw more money at it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No it hasn’t limited me in any way. And yes, I’ve not had it out yet. But would more up travel hurt my chances? I’m thinking not and up travel might be helpful when things speed up a bit getting from place to place.

lol you would have to try harder than that to hurt my feelings. You just came here to say the lift is not great but when people ask questions you avoid them and are already set in what you wanted to do. So you do you, you clearly know it all being that this is your first build and all.

What is the general opinion on down-travel? I hear that lots of up-travel may not be terribly important. When people say "articulation", they must be including up/down, plus also the beneficial solid axel ability to "lurch" sideways, such as into a deep rut.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
up-travel isn't king - articulation is
What is the general opinion on down-travel? I hear that lots of up-travel may not be terribly important. When people say "articulation", they must be including up/down, plus also the beneficial solid axel ability to "lurch" sideways, such as into a deep rut.
I would agree that up travel at ride height is far from being king but the total amount of travel, is. This would of course benefit articulation but it will also benefit you when bombing across the desert and hitting big bumps or ruts. A good coilover and or bypass shock will extend quickly and help make sure that the axle is fully dropped out before hitting the next bump and that means the total amount of up travel will be the full length of the shock.

SDHobbs

I use my Jeep a lot, EVO coilover kit has been fantastic. I have about 3" of up-travel front/rear and don't have any issues with that. I have King air bump stops in the front and regular rubber bump stops in the rear. From the desert to rock crawling it flat out works, it works really well actually. I came from a coilover kit that had 5" of up-travel by using short shocks and I wouldn't go back to that.

Last edited:

Gcat

I use my Jeep a lot, EVO coilover kit has been fantastic. I have about 3" of up-travel front/rear and don't have any issues with that. I have King air bump stops in the front and regular rubber bump stops in the rear. From the desert to rock crawling it flat out works, it works really well actually. I came from a coilover kit that had 5" of up-travel by using short shocks and I wouldn't go back to that.
Thanks for the update, I just have a 2” coil Rubicon Express lift with 35’s and fox stocks, been looking upgrading to a long arm for a more comfortable ride and 37’s for the high desert of northern Nevada. Didn’t know if I should just stick with the coils or go with the coilovers. I sure like how yours turned out…

Thanks for the update, I just have a 2” coil Rubicon Express lift with 35’s and fox stocks, been looking upgrading to a long arm for a more comfortable ride and 37’s for the high desert of northern Nevada. Didn’t know if I should just stick with the coils or go with the coilovers. I sure like how yours turned out…
If your on a budget coilovers normally aren’t in it, if you want to do it right and have a great riding jeep that can do just about anything get long arms and coilovers. Downside to coilovers is a very soft and squishy ride on the rode which some people don’t like. There’s definitely benefits to staying coils and shocks if you do a lot of on road driving. I love the way coilovers ride on and off road but some people don’t. If you don’t plan on bombing through the desert coilovers just aren’t needed.

Gcat

If your on a budget coilovers normally aren’t in it, if you want to do it right and have a great riding jeep that can do just about anything get long arms and coilovers. Downside to coilovers is a very soft and squishy ride on the rode which some people don’t like. There’s definitely benefits to staying coils and shocks if you do a lot of on road driving. I love the way coilovers ride on and off road but some people don’t. If you don’t plan on bombing through the desert coilovers just aren’t needed.
Thanks, good info

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update, I just have a 2” coil Rubicon Express lift with 35’s and fox stocks, been looking upgrading to a long arm for a more comfortable ride and 37’s for the high desert of northern Nevada.
There's only one reason to upgrade to long arms and that's to correct suspension geometry after installing a tall lift and by tall, I mean about 4" or more. This will restore your control arms back to a factor flat stance at ride height and that will improve ON ROAD performance as well as high speed off road.
Didn’t know if I should just stick with the coils or go with the coilovers. I sure like how yours turned out…
Coilovers are nice in that they do allow you to drive a lot harder and faster across the desert and they will have the added benefit of greater articulation BUT, they are expensive and not just for the initial cost of them. I think what most people don't realize is that they need regular maintenance as in, need to be rebuilt and unless you can do it yourself, you will be without a Jeep for as long as it takes to have them rebuilt PLUS, it costs quite a bit do have it done. Also, coilovers can be quite noisy as they're made for performance, not silence and that's another thing most people don't realize.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Downside to coilovers is a very soft and squishy ride on the rode which some people don’t like.
I agree with everything else you said but I don't know if I'd agree with this. The nice thing about coilovers is that you can valve and spring rate them to how you want them to perform. Squishy is not how I would describe my setups.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I agree with everything else you said but I don't know if I'd agree with this. The nice thing about coilovers is that you can valve and spring rate them to how you want them to perform. Squishy is not how I would describe my setups.
I agree. I always thought mine road rougher on the road. Although they were setup to go fast in the desert.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I always thought mine road rougher on the road. Although they were setup to go fast in the desert.
Yup, that's the compromise. I've got Moby dialed in to where it's really nice for us but it's taken a lot of experimenting/trail and error to get it there.

The new set of coilovers have heavier springs on them. My old ones were always a little washy in the rear. As you know though our jeeps aren’t light. Probably should have went to a heavier spring a long time ago.

Gcat

There's only one reason to upgrade to long arms and that's to correct suspension geometry after installing a tall lift and by tall, I mean about 4" or more. This will restore your control arms back to a factor flat stance at ride height and that will improve ON ROAD performance as well as high speed off road.

Coilovers are nice in that they do allow you to drive a lot harder and faster across the desert and they will have the added benefit of greater articulation BUT, they are expensive and not just for the initial cost of them. I think what most people don't realize is that they need regular maintenance as in, need to be rebuilt and unless you can do it yourself, you will be without a Jeep for as long as it takes to have them rebuilt PLUS, it costs quite a bit do have it done. Also, coilovers can be quite noisy as they're made for performance, not silence and that's another thing most people don't realize.
Thanks for the clarification, ours isn’t a daily driver which makes it more difficult, maybe 5-6k a year and mainly going off road, but with that said I can’t keep my wife out of it…. 😂😂

SDHobbs

Like Eddie said they are a bit noisy and I have AGM sliders, I hear some pops during heavy articulation but I’m used to it and don’t mind it, mine are stiffer on road than a regular coil and sprig setup but it’s not in a bad way, just more firm. Off-road with tires aired down they are awesome! The flex and stability that it provides is what I love the most. Here’s are some flexy pics from our weekend trip to Calico.

IMG_1054.jpeg IMG_1061.jpeg IMG_1070.jpeg

Top Bottom