evo bolt on coil over question

Reaper

hey guys im looking at lifting my Rubicon, I was looking at the 3.5" dual rate metalcloak lift, but after looking at the site a bit ive decided to look into the evo bolt on coil overs. what is the benifit of the coil overs vs a regular lift? do the coil overs lift the jeep? would i need anything else besides the coil overs front and rear to lift the jeep? Im new to them so if someone could give me a good run down on whow they perform and what im looking at doing to get them on the Rubicon i would GREATLY appreciate it.

trailless

Caught the Bug
The evo bolt on coil covers lift your Jeep anywhere from 3-5 inches. At a minimum you'll want to have front lower control arms, drag link flip and a front driveshaft.
You could look at doing the evo enforcer pro lift kit, whack has everything you'll need to run the coilovers.

I'll let someone else comment on how they ride... I haven't had a chance yet. :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
hey guys im looking at lifting my Rubicon, I was looking at the 3.5" dual rate metalcloak lift, but after looking at the site a bit ive decided to look into the evo bolt on coil overs. what is the benifit of the coil overs vs a regular lift? do the coil overs lift the jeep? would i need anything else besides the coil overs front and rear to lift the jeep? Im new to them so if someone could give me a good run down on whow they perform and what im looking at doing to get them on the Rubicon i would GREATLY appreciate it.

Comparing a coil lift to coilovers really isn't fair. They are two completely different animals. I currently have an AEV coil lift and am hoping to upgrade to the EVO system in the future. Ride quality, articulation, badassness, etc., are all incredibly better on the coilover setup.

In addition to the coilovers, you will need driveshafts and wheels that offer 3.5" backspacing. ATX Slabs are a popular choice for this reason.

Edited to add: You will also need upper control arms at a minimum to adjust caster/pinion angles.

Good luck!
ERAU

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Comparing a coil lift to coilovers really isn't fair. They are two completely different animals. I currently have an AEV coil lift and am hoping to upgrade to the EVO system in the future. Ride quality, articulation, badassness, etc., are all incredibly better on the coilover setup.

Incredibly? Not entirely true depending what you are comparing it too.

In addition to the coilovers, you will need driveshafts and wheels that offer 3.5" backspacing. ATX Slabs are a popular choice for this reason.

Edited to add: You will also need upper control arms at a minimum to adjust caster/pinion angles.

Good luck!
ERAU

Upper control arms? No you need front lowers at a minimum and rear uppers if you have a two door.

Reaper

so at a minimum i would need lower front control arms, front drive shaft, front and rear evo coil over kits and a drag link flip?

trailless

Caught the Bug
ah i found this from northridge4x4 think this is the best place to start?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-manufacturing-jk-enforcer-pro-stage-1-evo-201-1

Thats all you would need to run the coilovers. Remember if you get bigger tires you'll either need spacers for your stock wheels or need to get all new wheels. Then you'll want to correct your speedometer with a programmer and then possibly regear to help you get back to or better than stock performance. :D

JokerJKU

With identical spring rates and properly valved shocks, a JK with coilovers would ride very near identically to one with coils and shocks (assuming all other parts of the suspension are set up the same). The advantage of coilovers is partially in packaging and primarily in tuning.

Those are, however, very large advantages in some cases.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
With identical spring rates and properly valved shocks, a JK with coilovers would ride very near identically to one with coils and shocks (assuming all other parts of the suspension are set up the same). The advantage of coilovers is partially in packaging and primarily in tuning.

Those are, however, very large advantages in some cases.

Who makes a coil rate that soft, to ride like coil overs?

Last edited:

Reaper

i guess heres the question do coil overs make your rig any more capable to do shit then say a 3.5" metalcloak lift. and the second question on a daily driver thats 90% on road will coil overs be a waste? cause i would be happy with a 3.5" metalcloak but i want to invest in something that will last me when i sart the jeep jamborees and harder stuff like moab and the rubicon

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
i guess heres the question do coil overs make your rig any more capable to do shit then say a 3.5" metalcloak lift. and the second question on a daily driver thats 90% on road will coil overs be a waste? cause i would be happy with a 3.5" metalcloak but i want to invest in something that will last me when i sart the jeep jamborees and harder stuff like moab and the rubicon

It has more where travel than any coil shock set up on the market. It will ride smoother and faster than any coil kit on the market.

So yes it'll out perform it.

JokerJKU

Who makes a coil rate that soft, to ride like coil overs?

Not a clue. I didn't make a statement regarding anything for sale, I compared coilovers to a coil-shock set-up. And I stand by it, with the same spring rates and shock tuning, they would ride identically (didn't say nor do I mean that you could go out and buy that identical set-ups however), actually, a coil-shock set-up might outperform slightly by virtue of the larger diameter coilspring and the ability to run a bypass shock but that's most likely beyond the scope of the question posed.

A coilover, by virtue of being a coilover, will not outperform a coil-shock set-up. Where a coilover excels is its tune-ability and packaging. The ability to dial in the perfect spring rate (be it a single, dual, or even triple rate depending on application) for the vehicle at the perfect ride height combined with vehicle specific shock valving. That can be done with a coil-shock set-up but dear god it'd be prohibitively expensive.

And to your point directly, which I didn't comment on in the post you quoted, I don't have a clue what spring rates anyone sells because I'm not aware of a single lift kit manufacturer that actually publishes their spring rates. Pretty easy to tell what spring rates are on a coilover because it's written right on the spring, but most coilspring-shock set-ups have long been stripped of that data.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

I would look elsewhere if you want something that lasts. Mc has been known to have issues..

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not a clue. I didn't make a statement regarding anything for sale, I compared coilovers to a coil-shock set-up. And I stand by it, with the same spring rates and shock tuning, they would ride identically (didn't say nor do I mean that you could go out and buy that identical set-ups however), actually, a coil-shock set-up might outperform slightly by virtue of the larger diameter coilspring and the ability to run a bypass shock but that's most likely beyond the scope of the question posed.

A coilover, by virtue of being a coilover, will not outperform a coil-shock set-up. Where a coilover excels is its tune-ability and packaging. The ability to dial in the perfect spring rate (be it a single, dual, or even triple rate depending on application) for the vehicle at the perfect ride height combined with vehicle specific shock valving. That can be done with a coil-shock set-up but dear god it'd be prohibitively expensive.

And to your point directly, which I didn't comment on in the post you quoted, I don't have a clue what spring rates anyone sells because I'm not aware of a single lift kit manufacturer that actually publishes their spring rates. Pretty easy to tell what spring rates are on a coilover because it's written right on the spring, but most coilspring-shock set-ups have long been stripped of that data.

So you don't know then?

Lots of generalization in this post that really doesn't answer what this guy is asking.

He's comparing to kits. the bolt on coilovers beats metal cloak in every category.

JokerJKU

what is the benifit of the coil overs vs a regular lift?

I was responding directly to this question posed by the OP. The benefit is packaging and increased tuneability.

Many think a coilover, by virtue of it being a coilover is better than a coil-shock package. That's simply not a true statement. And it's borne out by many of the piss poor coilover kits on the market today and also by many of the guys that bitch about their set-up after buying a set of mounts and trying to purchase coilovers directly with off the shelf valving and springs.

EVO did the tuning for you, it's a packaged kit that works very, very well. The kit is already optimized, can it be further optimized? Of course, that's why they ship with differing spring rates depending on how your JK is set up. Ergo, it's going to outperform any coil-shock lift short of one with custom coilsprings and custom tuned shocks which is, again, beyond the scope of what the OP asked (that was insinuated in my post though you clearly didn't catch it and seem hellbent on being argumentative though you've yet to factually contradict anything I've posted).

utiadam

LOSER
Thats all you would need to run the coilovers. Remember if you get bigger tires you'll either need spacers for your stock wheels or need to get all new wheels. Then you'll want to correct your speedometer with a programmer and then possibly regear to help you get back to or better than stock performance. :D

Stock wheels with spacers won't work with the bolt on kit. The slabs have 3.5" backspacing and the chamber pros have 4.06" backspacing. Either one will work. Stock wheels with spacers are only at 4.5"

Templar

My $.02 - I was also planning on the MetalCloak lift (Gamechanger) but after a lot of research and talking to people who know a lot more than I do, I think the EVO Coilover setup is be a much better deal and so that is what I bought. I have the EVO JK Enforcer Pro Stage 1 is sitting in my garage, waiting on my wheels & C-gussets, and it wound up costing less than the Gamechanger would have cost me. The ride height and ride quality adjustability of coilovers is a huge benefit and still being able to install them myself is great too. The King colovers are super stout so I imagine the strength and reliability should be a lot better too. If you are comparing high quality suspensions I think its a no brainer going with the EVO bolt on coilover.

Top Bottom