Ever Rebuild an Air Conditioning Compressor?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I mentioned awhile back that my air conditioning compressor apparently froze tight. I find this a bit strange since I hardly used it since new in 2016. That being said, I’ve used the defroster plenty which means that the compressor is engaged during those times.

Symptoms were:
At freeway speed, turn air conditioning on, but no cold air.
At idle, turning on air conditioning kills engine or belt slips at compressor.

The simple fix was to simply unplug the compressor so I can use the defroster as needed.

I’m now ready to start giving this issue some attention, but I’ve never serviced air conditioning other than to add freon and stop leak from a can to a different Jeep.

I appreciate any help or advice to the following questions:

1. Is it possible to bypass the compressor with a shorter belt? I would like to be able to drive the Jeep while servicing.
1a. If so, does the idler pulley between the compressor and crank shaft need to be removed?
1b. If so, does anyone know a part number or length for a shorter serpentine belt that would work in this case?

2. Has anyone taken a compressor apart? Any tips or tricks?

3. Has anyone seen any drawings, exploded views or parts lists?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Don’t know about rebuilding the compressor. Seems like usually just a replacement item, I could be wrong though. As far as running with it removed, you should be able to use a string or something similar to find the length of the belt needed and a parts guy that still knows how to use a book can look it up by length.

Slimebones

I rebuilt a compressor on a Subaru 5 years ago and it is still going strong. Bought seals from place called shopcenturyautoair.com Had to make my own gasket. Saved a ton of money and it works. Was real rewarding. I should note though: this was just because the a/c was leaking at the seal, Not necessarily your issue. But rebuilding is doable. Depends on how much time you have on your hands.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Don’t know about rebuilding the compressor. Seems like usually just a replacement item, I could be wrong though. As far as running with it removed, you should be able to use a string or something similar to find the length of the belt needed and a parts guy that still knows how to use a book can look it up by length.

Studying the belt routing, it doesn’t appear to be possible to remove the compressor and still get the belt on the water pump. Thanks for the advice. I’m probably just going to have to get a replacement and go from there.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I replaced mine on my liberty. 125$ from amazon. Used the recharge with the oil already in it. Been going 2 years now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks like replacing is the only option since it’s my daily driver. Glad yours is working out!

I rebuilt a compressor on a Subaru 5 years ago and it is still going strong. Bought seals from place called shopcenturyautoair.com Had to make my own gasket. Saved a ton of money and it works. Was real rewarding. I should note though: this was just because the a/c was leaking at the seal, Not necessarily your issue. But rebuilding is doable. Depends on how much time you have on your hands.

Unfortunately, I can’t be without the Jeep since it’s my daily driver. I’m probably going to have to get a replacement, but I will take the old one apart just to find what the failure was.

Top Bottom