ESC light during banked turns

docwilson

I just had a 3.5" Teraflex lift on 37's installed on my 2021 JLU. When I take a banked turn >20 mph, like on freeway interchange, the ESC light will come on.

Jeep drives straight, no pulling, maybe a touch of wandering which I attribute to just being a Jeep on 37's. Is this an alignment issue? Do others have this same issue?

FFPulley77

Hooked
I just had a 3.5" Teraflex lift on 37's installed on my 2021 JLU. When I take a banked turn >20 mph, like on freeway interchange, the ESC light will come on.

Jeep drives straight, no pulling, maybe a touch of wandering which I attribute to just being a Jeep on 37's. Is this an alignment issue? Do others have this same issue?
Did you reprogram the Jeep for the increase in tire size?

Upvote 0

docwilson

Did you reprogram the Jeep for the increase in tire size?
Yes, though technically shop set it to 35.5" tires because that's what the 37" KM3s measure out at on the Jeep. I wonder if that could be a factor?

For more backstory, the suspension and steering was done at a higher cost, reputable shop, but they forgot to torque down the tie-rod adjuster (was loose on 1 side), grease the steering components (added drag link and tie rod) and a couple other less minor things. I'm no mechanic, but fixed these things and told them about it. They had be bring it back so shop foreman could look it over. He checked everything, drove it, and reassured me. I just discovered the ESC light issue.

What I'm getting at is I have reason to doubt the quality of their work. Maybe the alignment is off just a touch, enough to trip the computer? I also noticed when I pull into the driveway or take a turn a sharper turn at low speed (like pulling into parking space) I can hear the rubber from the tires. I assume this is normal given tire size/soft compound, but maybe this is an indicator of a not perfect alignment?

Upvote 0

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Yes, though technically shop set it to 35.5" tires because that's what the 37" KM3s measure out at on the Jeep. I wonder if that could be a factor?

For more backstory, the suspension and steering was done at a higher cost, reputable shop, but they forgot to torque down the tie-rod adjuster (was loose on 1 side), grease the steering components (added drag link and tie rod) and a couple other less minor things. I'm no mechanic, but fixed these things and told them about it. They had be bring it back so shop foreman could look it over. He checked everything, drove it, and reassured me. I just discovered the ESC light issue.

What I'm getting at is I have reason to doubt the quality of their work. Maybe the alignment is off just a touch, enough to trip the computer? I also noticed when I pull into the driveway or take a turn a sharper turn at low speed (like pulling into parking space) I can hear the rubber from the tires. I assume this is normal given tire size/soft compound, but maybe this is an indicator of a not perfect alignment?
Could they have fubared your wheel speed sensors? I'd be a little PO'd if the more expensive/reputable shop missed things like that personally and I'd be questioning the quality of the other work involved...

Edit: I'm a noob and haven't had to deal with this, but I think from other posts I've seen that could possibly be a culprit.

Upvote 0

rubiDave

Is your steering wheel centered when driving straight? When the lift was installed did they leave enough slack in the wheel speed sensor cables to accommodate that amount of lift?

Either the steering angle sensor or an intermittent wheel speed sensor could be the cause. The rubber sound you hear turning in a parking lot is probably normal, unless your tires are rubbing the frame or fender.

Upvote 0

MericaMade

Is your steering wheel centered when driving straight? When the lift was installed did they leave enough slack in the wheel speed sensor cables to accommodate that amount of lift?

Either the steering angle sensor or an intermittent wheel speed sensor could be the cause. The rubber sound you hear turning in a parking lot is probably normal, unless your tires are rubbing the frame or fender.
This ^ and your tire size program sound right for BFG 37s.

Upvote 0

docwilson

Yes, wheel is centered. It only happens when in banked turns at speed.

Yes, plenty of slack on the sensor/brake lines.

I figured the rubber noise was probably normal and definitely no rubbing.

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
This sounds like an issue with one of the wheel speed sensors. I had the same thing intermittently. It could be a loose plug, pinched wire, bad unit bearing in the front, etc. Extremely annoying trying to isolate the issue. My traction control would occasionally kick in when I was pulling out and simultaneously making a left hand turn. I finally gave up & put the kill switch in so I didn't have to deal with it.

Upvote 0

rubiDave

You can try un-mating then mating all the wheel speed connectors. If you're lucky maybe just one of them wasn't plugged back in completely. Inspect each of them for pinch marks or other damage. A good scan tool can help, but if it is intermittent it can be a bitch to track down.

Upvote 0

docwilson

Update - I checked the ABS/wheel sensors and lines all look good. I started reading and re-watched some of Eddie's front-end videos, in particular the one with the new Dynatrac axle and Jim, the owner of Dynatrac. They do a crude alignment in that video, so I checked mine, the toe in was about 2" (over 1 degree total) on the 37's, when it should be about 1/8" (or 0.2 degree total). I adjusted it myself in the driveway and what a GAME CHANGER. Literally night and day. Vehicle is less darty, drives easier, the loud tire noise (basically dragging in the driveway that I thought might be normal) is effectively gone.

So, in addition to the shop screwing up the steering install, they jacked the alignment too (no surprise). I still plan to take it to an alignment shop to find out the caster (hopefully good) and to more accurately dial in the alignment. I'm hoping this will resolve the ESC problem I'm having too, but haven't had a chance to test it just yet.

Overall very disappointing that a reputable shop screwed up so much, but good learning opportunity for me and highlights the value in understanding how things work yourself. I'm no mechanic, but I am feeling much more confident. Hopefully no other issues from their work, but time will tell...

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Update - I checked the ABS/wheel sensors and lines all look good. I started reading and re-watched some of Eddie's front-end videos, in particular the one with the new Dynatrac axle and Jim, the owner of Dynatrac. They do a crude alignment in that video, so I checked mine, the toe in was about 2" (over 1 degree total) on the 37's, when it should be about 1/8" (or 0.2 degree total). I adjusted it myself in the driveway and what a GAME CHANGER. Literally night and day. Vehicle is less darty, drives easier, the loud tire noise (basically dragging in the driveway that I thought might be normal) is effectively gone.

So, in addition to the shop screwing up the steering install, they jacked the alignment too (no surprise). I still plan to take it to an alignment shop to find out the caster (hopefully good) and to more accurately dial in the alignment. I'm hoping this will resolve the ESC problem I'm having too, but haven't had a chance to test it just yet.

Overall very disappointing that a reputable shop screwed up so much, but good learning opportunity for me and highlights the value in understanding how things work yourself. I'm no mechanic, but I am feeling much more confident. Hopefully no other issues from their work, but time will tell...
Good for you... I think in Eddies alignment write up he shows how to check caster by using an angle finder on the front of the diff housing (just next to the diff cover where the holes are). An angle finder shouldn't be more that $10 or so from a hardware store, worthwhile to check it yourself at that price.

Upvote 0

docwilson

Good for you... I think in Eddies alignment write up he shows how to check caster by using an angle finder on the front of the diff housing (just next to the diff cover where the holes are). An angle finder shouldn't be more that $10 or so from a hardware store, worthwhile to check it yourself at that price.
Interesting. I just looked it up and yes, I'm totally going to do this. Thus far it rides well and I tried to measure the control arms while on the Jeep and they seem to measure out to the manufacturer recommended lengths, so crossing my fingers they're all set at good lengths. I can always adjust them if necessary.

Thanks for all of the insights everyone! Very helpful and appreciated!

Upvote 0

docwilson

I have so much appreciation for these forums, the feedback others give and then all of the entertaining and educational videos on youtube, particularly by Eddie. I'm genuinely thankful!

Over the last few weeks I have discovered far too many mistakes by the shop who did my install. Absolute disappoint is an understatement. The most recent discovery was that I noticed a slight bow to the driver side front coil. At first I had thought it was normal, but on further assessment and intervention, I discovered the upper coil isolator was 180 degrees backwards and by simply dropping the axle, re-orienting and seating it correctly with the rubber knobs through the upper perch (I think that's the right term?), the bowing is now gone.

Not a high risk or catastrophic mistake, but just more evidence of sloppy install and reason for disappointment. I've always been reasonably handy, but by no means a mechanic. However, with the education on the forums and the videos I've been gifted the extra confidence to tackle addressing these issues, so for that I'm very thankful.

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have so much appreciation for these forums, the feedback others give and then all of the entertaining and educational videos on youtube, particularly by Eddie. I'm genuinely thankful!

Over the last few weeks I have discovered far too many mistakes by the shop who did my install. Absolute disappoint is an understatement. The most recent discovery was that I noticed a slight bow to the driver side front coil. At first I had thought it was normal, but on further assessment and intervention, I discovered the upper coil isolator was 180 degrees backwards and by simply dropping the axle, re-orienting and seating it correctly with the rubber knobs through the upper perch (I think that's the right term?), the bowing is now gone.

Not a high risk or catastrophic mistake, but just more evidence of sloppy install and reason for disappointment. I've always been reasonably handy, but by no means a mechanic. However, with the education on the forums and the videos I've been gifted the extra confidence to tackle addressing these issues, so for that I'm very thankful.
I think I can speak for most of us, nobody works on our Jeeps except ourselves or good trusted friends. The risks of things not being done right and then pushing these Jeeps out on the trail is not worth the risk to our Jeeps, family’s or ourselves. This forums a huge resource where someone here has been down the road before and can help you walk thru it. Good luck on the next project!

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think I can speak for most of us, nobody works on our Jeeps except ourselves or good trusted friends. The risks of things not being done right and then pushing these Jeeps out on the trail is not worth the risk to our Jeeps, family’s or ourselves. This forums a huge resource where someone here has been down the road before and can help you walk thru it. Good luck on the next project!
I think the important thing is knowing what you are talking about when you bring it to a shop so you can question them and get the answers you need and not them just blowing smoke.

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think the important thing is knowing what you are talking about when you bring it to a shop so you can question them and get the answers you need and not them just blowing smoke.
I’ve lost about all faith in shops and dealerships around here. I wish I had guys like Mel close by, AMW isn’t interested in doing builds right now, they’re too buried in engine swaps which I get. But my experience has been even when you show them exactly what you need, they still tend to do it half way or cut corners to get it done fast and make a buck.

I have one guy in a local mechanic shop that I Trust, he knows me and my Jeep and what we do with it and has always come thru. Otherwise, like you, I’ve tried to do it myself.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom