Dust and I mean DUST everywhere.

wnorton

first trip to the very dusty San Rafael swell. Admittedly I followed a friend with a overland trailer, thus 6 wheels kicking up dirt instead of 4. honestly I’ve been for wheeling all of my life and I’ve never had a rig with this much dust intrusion. Appears to be the rear tailgate. Is there a solution to cover the vent behind the spare tire?

any ideas would be appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet is to back off and leave a big gap between your friend and yourself. The vent on the tailgate is there to help expel air when closing your doors with the windows up and more importantly, to help evacuate it in a hurry if your air bags ever deploy.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Your best bet is to back off and leave a big gap between your friend and yourself. The vent on the tailgate is there to help expel air when closing your doors with the windows up and more importantly, to help evacuate it in a hurry if your air bags ever deploy.
Also to that, most of the rear dust comes from your own Jeep. The Jeep in front of you blasts the front of the trailing Jeep.

Perfect example is trips we go on with you the front and down to the rear tires on your Jeeps is usually clean but your tailgate is dirty.

1649606841163.jpeg

TheGrendel

I live down a caliche road now. dust. dust. so much dust. i can attest you don't need anyone in front of you for your vehicle exterior and interior to be completely covered. my wife's 4runner collects piles of dust on top of the rear window sill.

WJCO

Meme King
Two types of Jeeps. Jeeps that get used offroad and Jeeps that never go offroad. The ones that go offroad, dust is pretty much something that is just part of the experience whether you like it or not. If you try to control it, it will just result in an ownership full of disappointment and pavement is the only answer.

its-an-inevitability.jpg

first trip to the very dusty San Rafael swell. Admittedly I followed a friend with a overland trailer, thus 6 wheels kicking up dirt instead of 4. honestly I’ve been for wheeling all of my life and I’ve never had a rig with this much dust intrusion. Appears to be the rear tailgate. Is there a solution to cover the vent behind the spare tire?

I have a 13 JK and about two years ago, out of the blue just getting on a dirt road one day, the whole Jeep cab was filling with dust like the back window was open! Stopped a couple of times to check everything and no luck on the cause so we kept the window open to keep the air moving to continue on. After the trip checking it at home, I found the majority of the dust to be laying in the back by the tailgate vents….removed the tire and found most of the rubber ‘one way’ flappers on the vent hole to be missing and and the others dry rotted allowing the dust in. Quick purchase online and got that fixed and NO more dust. So here in the heat of AZ, they rot off in 5 to 6 years… just for possibilities on the dust issue.

Brute

Hooked

I like trips into the Swell...

kbp810

Caught the Bug
It cant be this bad, can it? :)

View attachment 376021
Mine often looks like this as well! We live on a dirt road, surrounded by dirt roads, and I often like to take forest road "shortcuts" while out and about. Combine that with door/top off summer weather, and you've got the inevitable dust coated interior makeover. This is while traveling solo too... when trailing a group on dusty trails, there's not much you can do except try to hang back and follow the cloud of sand.

Even with top and doors on, aside from the tailgate vent, there's only so much the cabin air filter can grab. The super fine dust will find a way in. (Perhaps if yours truly felt like way more than expected, check your cabin air filter; perhaps it's damaged and/or missing?)

For cleanup, I blast it with an air hose from my compressor which gets rid of the majority of it. Occasional I'll go through with a swiffer duster or towel or something too.

Top Bottom