DSTRAC Axles

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback, I’ve heard some good things about them on here and why I was looking at them. In all reality anything can break, but if the a Customer support is there or not makes a big difference. I can’t say I’d be overly concerned about the paint on the axle as that an east fix and something that would get scratch up anyway, but you don’t like to see rust after spending 20k

I really am not all that concerned about paint either. To me it just indicates the overall fit and finish of the product. An indication that a company took the time to do a process correctly. Especially at this price point. If these axles were 5k less than Dynatrac, I would expect a lower end product.

I will do a detailed writeup in the next week or two.

jaypee903

Call me guinea pig...

I have a set of DStrac 76's on my 392 with Auburn E-lockers. I've got 1500 or so miles on them and two good wheeling trips. Their one sales guy is fairly responsive via email but with all the skepticism about the company they could most definitely do better for their customers.

The decent...
  • Delivery of the axles was about correct for the timing estimated
  • Steering doesn't come until after you get the axles, but was quick once they got here.
  • Fit and finish so far has been good.
  • The welds look good but the factory control arm mounts in the front were a bit out of whack. I have my passenger side control arms a bit longer than I want to have the axle centered.
The annoying
  • Front brake calipers are from a FJ cruiser....rears are from a 2004 F350 Front.
  • From my research I'm the only one complaining, but no matter what I do my brake bias is proportioning wrong. Rears grab first and are stronger and that makes A LOT of heat To be fair, it wasn't bad in 4-lo at all on the trail, my biggest fear. And if you cram on them it'll lock all four tires up against the ABS.
  • Haven't had much luck making their attachments for e-brake work well. It grabs, but it's not keeping you from rolling off a cliff if brakes fail
The bad
  • I'm going to get a temp gun and check, but the axles run HOT. Not sure if I have a bearing issue or just lack of fluid volume with this ring/pinion to housing size or what. But between the axle and the brakes the jeep smells hot everytime I put it in the garage. Not comforting
  • Last week in Moab the rear axle starting leaking out of both side axle tubes. We trailered the Jeep there and never got over 50 mph while in Moab so not like the axle got hot on the trip. Fluid level looked to be fine and it's tied into the factory JL vent line. DSTrac lined me out with where to get more seals (70*90*10 dual lip) but just told me I had too much fluid and that's why it pushed out the seals.
    • Not sure if the brakes are getting so hot it's transferring heat to the seals? Axle getting itself getting too hot? Or if something was out of whack with assembly in the first place. Going to tear into it sometime this next week.
Now a little bit of good...Auburn lockers worked flawless tied into the LasFit switch. Super fast to engage/disengage which was nice compared to the factory lockers. Jeep was doing so good I got carried away on some alternate lines and twisted off an Adams .120 wall driveshaft. Axles are fine(and transfer case 😬)...

I'll keep you guys posted on if saving the coin was worth it....I'm still a skeptic even though I gave them all that money 😂

Attachments

• Driveshaft 1.jpg
    Driveshaft 1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 23
  • driveshaft 2.jpg
    driveshaft 2.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 23
  • driveshaft 3.jpg
    driveshaft 3.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 23

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Call me guinea pig...

I have a set of DStrac 76's on my 392 with Auburn E-lockers. I've got 1500 or so miles on them and two good wheeling trips. Their one sales guy is fairly responsive via email but with all the skepticism about the company they could most definitely do better for their customers.

The decent...
  • Steering doesn't come until after you get the axles, but was quick once they got here.
  • The welds look good but the factory control arm mounts in the front were a bit out of whack. I have my passenger side control arms a bit longer than I want to have the axle centered.
The annoying
  • Front brake calipers are from a FJ cruiser....rears are from a 2004 F350 Front.
  • From my research I'm the only one complaining, but no matter what I do my brake bias is proportioning wrong. Rears grab first and are stronger and that makes A LOT of heat To be fair, it wasn't bad in 4-lo at all on the trail, my biggest fear. And if you cram on them it'll lock all four tires up against the ABS.
  • Haven't had much luck making their attachments for e-brake work well. It grabs, but it's not keeping you from rolling off a cliff if brakes fail
The bad
  • I'm going to get a temp gun and check, but the axles run HOT. Not sure if I have a bearing issue or just lack of fluid volume with this ring/pinion to housing size or what. But between the axle and the brakes the jeep smells hot everytime I put it in the garage. Not comforting
  • Last week in Moab the rear axle starting leaking out of both side axle tubes. We trailered the Jeep there and never got over 50 mph while in Moab so not like the axle got hot on the trip. Fluid level looked to be fine and it's tied into the factory JL vent line. DSTrac lined me out with where to get more seals (70*90*10 dual lip) but just told me I had too much fluid and that's why it pushed out the seals.
    • Not sure if the brakes are getting so hot it's transferring heat to the seals? Axle getting itself getting too hot? Or if something was out of whack with assembly in the first place. Going to tear into it sometime this next week.
Now a little bit of good...Auburn lockers worked flawless tied into the LasFit switch. Super fast to engage/disengage which was nice compared to the factory lockers. Jeep was doing so good I got carried away on some alternate lines and twisted off an Adams .120 wall driveshaft. Axles are fine(and transfer case 😬)...

I'll keep you guys posted on if saving the coin was worth it....I'm still a skeptic even though I gave them all that money 😂
Lol if I bought $15k worth of axles and got FJ cruiser brakes they would be returned.

And also, why buy the most expensive Jeep and the cheapest axles out there? Sounds pretty idiotic to me.

Oh, and welcome

jaypee903

Gotta try new stuff every now and again. I didn't consider myself 'idiotic' when I made my decision, more like willing to give it a shot. It's not my first jeep build and I don't plan for it to be my last. I understand forums are very opinionated but geezus...doesn't create a place where people will actually share real world info.

My buddies jeep on Dynatrac 60's blew a front hub bearing on the way and left them stranded for a couple hours....my previous set of Dana 60's were assembled wrong from the plant and didn't drain oil out of the tubes. Gladiator on a set of fusion 60/14 bolt combo also had a bearing go out on a previous trip and then the weld sheared off the tube for the track bar. Just saying everything breaks so....

I could have told you guys everything was totally perfect and they had the best customer service and my jeep is the baddest jeep on planet Earth.

WJCO

Meme King
Gotta try new stuff every now and again. I didn't consider myself 'idiotic' when I made my decision, more like willing to give it a shot. It's not my first jeep build and I don't plan for it to be my last.
Totally agree. I found some badass brake calipers at Tractor Supply for my Lambo. I had to get some spacers at Home Depot but I made it work. Stops like nobody's business. Needs some tweaking but nothing's perfect.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Call me guinea pig...

The decent...
The annoying
The bad

Sounds like more negatives than anyone would like to hear about after spending 15k… a hub bearing seems like it would be a simple fix compared to all of the issues that you’re having.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta try new stuff every now and again. I didn't consider myself 'idiotic' when I made my decision, more like willing to give it a shot. It's not my first jeep build and I don't plan for it to be my last. I understand forums are very opinionated but geezus...doesn't create a place where people will actually share real world info.

My buddies jeep on Dynatrac 60's blew a front hub bearing on the way and left them stranded for a couple hours....my previous set of Dana 60's were assembled wrong from the plant and didn't drain oil out of the tubes. Gladiator on a set of fusion 60/14 bolt combo also had a bearing go out on a previous trip and then the weld sheared off the tube for the track bar. Just saying everything breaks so....

I could have told you guys everything was totally perfect and they had the best customer service and my jeep is the baddest jeep on planet Earth.
Yeah, everything breaks and I've seen it all but I'm not sure if I'd be so up for "trying new stuff" just for trying new stuff sake, especially on when it's not made in the USA. I'm more of a hedge my bets kind of guy but then, that's just me. Thanks for sharing your experience, I really do appreciate it and know more now than ever before, these axles would not be something I'd be interested in.

jaypee903

Yeah, everything breaks and I've seen it all but I'm not sure if I'd be so up for "trying new stuff" just for trying new stuff sake, especially on when it's not made in the USA. I'm more of a hedge my bets kind of guy but then, that's just me. Thanks for sharing your experience, I really do appreciate it and know more now than ever before, these axles would not be something I'd be interested in.
I've followed you for years and years, had to have watched every YouTube video. Thank you for all the info and entertainment BTW!!! Your reasoning or situation could very well be different than mine but I feel like you have always tried new stuff....showed what was good and not so good.

I get it, these axles come with some risk...but what if they end up being good? We could have an option that puts pressure on the market of $20k+ axle setups.

To me, forums are still a place of great info, so I'll update this page as I go into the rear axle for the seals and give some honest feedback on what I find. As for the brakes, I'm going to re-bleed the system once more and do some testing. If I can figure out the bias, I'm happy, they are plenty strong. If anybody has any real ideas to help me out, I'm all ears! Never know, there might be some closet DSTrac guys out there afraid to speak up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've followed you for years and years, had to have watched every YouTube video. Thank you for all the info and entertainment BTW!!! Your reasoning or situation could very well be different than mine but I feel like you have always tried new stuff....showed what was good and not so good.

I get it, these axles come with some risk...but what if they end up being good? We could have an option that puts pressure on the market of $20k+ axle setups.

To me, forums are still a place of great info, so I'll update this page as I go into the rear axle for the seals and give some honest feedback on what I find. As for the brakes, I'm going to re-bleed the system once more and do some testing. If I can figure out the bias, I'm happy, they are plenty strong. If anybody has any real ideas to help me out, I'm all ears! Never know, there might be some closet DSTrac guys out there afraid to speak up.
Happy to hear you've been enjoying our videos for as long as you have and while I have always been about trying new stuff, I'm quite certain that I've ALWAYS made it a point to buy Made in the USA or as much as possible, especially when it comes to big purchases.

That said, I'd like to clarify if it wasn't clear already that I am not trying to criticize or even question what you've chosen to buy. I'm a firm believer that your money should always be spent on your Jeep however you see fit. And, as I already stated, I sincerely appreciate you providing the feedback that you have posted up.

sburt911z

Call me guinea pig...

The decent...
The annoying
The bad

If you're still having issues, get 95-70-10 axle seals and use gasket seal on the housing when installing them. My DSTracs were machined too large for the seals and gear oil would blow out the outside of the axle seals. Also, change your vent tube barb to a 1/8 to 5/16 MIP to increase the opening and decrease the back pressure.

Top Bottom