Driveshaft Angle

Geno

I’m very new to the Jeep World so my question might be the dumbest of the week.

I installed adjustable control arms all the way around as well as adjustable front and rear track bars. After install I had an alignment done at a 4x4 shop. Only issue was left front tire had a small amount of camber out.
My concern is a driveline vibration that wasn’t there before. The more YouTube videos I watch the more confused I get.
My Jeep info:
2015 Jeep JK Unlimited sport
3.5 in lift per shop (not new)
Nitro Ridge Grappler 35X12.5X17 (not new)
Core 4x4 adjustable control arms all the way around
Steer Smarts yeti adjustable track bars front and rear
I’m not sure what the numbers should be or what I need to do to fix it? Help please and thank you

Geno
Go Vols!!

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3093.jpeg
    IMG_3093.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 14

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The pics you posted up are of your rear drive shaft and unless a balancing weight was knocked off of it, you should NOT be feeling any vibrations from it, regardless of the angle the output shaft or pinion are at.

That said, do you have a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft up front? If so, you probably have too much caster set now. Even if you still have a factory front shaft installed, it still has one u-joint and is probably going out, out of balance and or suffering from too much caster.

Upvote 0

Geno

The pics you posted up are of your rear drive shaft and unless a balancing weight was knocked off of it, you should NOT be feeling any vibrations from it, regardless of the angle the output shaft or pinion are at.

That said, do you have a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft up front? If so, you probably have too much caster set now. Even if you still have a factory front shaft installed, it still has one u-joint and is probably going out, out of balance and or suffering from too much caster.
Thanks. It’s the stock driveshaft up front. I’ll post the front in a sec. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Geno

Thanks. It’s the stock driveshaft up front. I’ll post the front in a sec. Thanks for your help
Front numbers: caster 3.1 on drivers side and 3.5 on the passenger side

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3108.jpeg
    IMG_3108.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Front numbers: caster 3.1 on drivers side and 3.5 on the passenger side
You need to check your caster angle like this

Upvote 0
@Geno Looking at your second set of pics, it looks like the front CV boot (on the transfer case side) of the driveshaft is damaged and throwing out the grease. Super common on a stock shaft with a tall lift kit installed. So in addition to caster angle, the joint could be failing and causing some vibrations as well. If not, it will be a problem in the future.

Upvote 0

Geno

@Geno Looking at your second set of pics, it looks like the front CV boot (on the transfer case side) of the driveshaft is damaged and throwing out the grease. Super common on a stock shaft with a tall lift kit installed. So in addition to caster angle, the joint could be failing and causing some vibrations as well. If not, it will be a problem in the future.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll give an update in a few days. Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Top Bottom