Double D broken zerk passenger lower control arm

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Hi guys
I have had my long arms for a while and have been checking torque on them with every oil change. Well, after I changed my oil last night I thought it might be time to shoot some grease in the joints. I got to the passenger side rear lower control arm and found that the zerk had broken off. I think it may have happened when I installed it and was checking everything at full bump, but it looks like the clearance is really minimal. I'm probably going to find something flush to cap it with after I clean the joint and re grease it. I poured over the instructions again and maybe I missed it , but is that bolt on the gas tank skid supposed to stay out since the tab is over the mount? I'll go snap a pic in a minute....

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, that's normal and kind of lame. I'd just installed a flat needle type zerk there and then lower the arm to grease it.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Thank you Eddie! Seriously the only complaint I have about it. So now the choice, buy the flat zerk or upgrade to high clearance mounts? :brows::cheesy:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, I’ve got one knocked off right now too. I’ll replaced it once, only to happen again. I’ll looking into the flat needle fittings.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I replaced most of the zerks with the needle fittings. There were a few I didn’t replace since you have to take the control arms off to get to them and they’re protected.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I replaced most of the zerks with the needle fittings. There were a few I didn’t replace since you have to take the control arms off to get to them and they’re protected.

Do you have the needle fittings pointing down for easier access or do you still need to drop the arms to grease them?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Do you have the needle fittings pointing down for easier access or do you still need to drop the arms to grease them?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Not all of them are down but I can get to all of them but two. The rear lower frame sides I have to drop to grease. The hardest ones to grease are the joints on my front axle.... I had to find a small needle fitting with a 90 just to get to them

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I went and picked up a bunch of needle fittings. The only one I really see a problem with is the lower rear passenger side because of that stupid bolt. I am going to drop that arm again tonight.

TheGrendel

Just make sure your needle fitting threads aren’t too deep. I changed mine and couldn’t get grease to go into the joint. Took the joints completely apart and could see where the fitting was seated too deep and pushing into the plastic collar.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Just make sure your needle fitting threads aren’t too deep. I changed mine and couldn’t get grease to go into the joint. Took the joints completely apart and could see where the fitting was seated too deep and pushing into the plastic collar.

Thanks. :thumb:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Not all of them are down but I can get to all of them but two. The rear lower frame sides I have to drop to grease. The hardest ones to grease are the joints on my front axle.... I had to find a small needle fitting with a 90 just to get to them

Thanks, I’ll look into the needle fittings.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom