Do You STARLINK

jeeeep

Hooked
So, being that we did buy STARLINK to take around with us, I got this handy carrying bag for it.
View attachment 406014

As you can see, it comes with compartments for the router, power supply, cables and of course, the main dish.
View attachment 406015 View attachment 406016 View attachment 406017 View attachment 406018

Also, what's cool about it is that it can be carried like a backpack.
View attachment 406019
That's a nice bag, I pulled the trigger on the Starlink, do you have a link to that bag on your amazon store links? (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice bag, I pulled the trigger on the Starlink, do you have a link to that bag on your amazon store links? (y)
Amazon doesn't carry the bag but you can buy one here:

I should note, they do sell hard Pelican type cases but they're kind of bulky and are 5X the cost.

jesse3638

Hooked
It was suggested that I get starlink if I wanted to accept CC's while vending at KOH. I looked into it but just couldn't justify the cost and the few times a year I might use it. That being said a lot of the racecars had it mounted to their roofs. It was cool be cause they'd use it to send real time video and it would be put up on the jumbo trons. Also they'd use it to send real time data to their teams and they could make on the fly tuning updates. Pretty crazy technology.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I’m a fiber guy, but I have starlink for a back up for our marketing/command center trailer where I can’t jump into our fiber network. It works great and not bad latency.

There’s some decent YouTube video if you want to hard mount it and drive while using it. My buddy mounted one on his RAM Camper, works pretty good and it’s saved his ass more than once. He camps alone in the middle of nowhere. He called me from Death Valley with transmission issues, we were able to figure out what was wrong and get him out of there. I wouldn’t say it saved his life, but it certainly helped him not have to hike for help.

that being said, I’ll take mine on camping trips

Ha! I remember a 9,600 baud rate and that god-awful noise as AOL tried to connect.
CompuServe and then BIX via dial-up X.25 for me. I was a moderator of the BIX "Internet" forum when most people in the world had not heard of the "Internet" before. But things changed rapidly after 1992 when commercial connectivity to the Internet (originally reserved for schools and research institutions) was allowed.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
10Gig GPON has been a reality for quite some time now. The fiber and the stuff in your home costs the same as older technology. I am sure that it will be installed at your property soon. 😀
It’s XGSPON and I’m very familiar with the costs. It’s what I do. 🫢

it’s not cheap to build the last mile, and there’s not enough homes per mile. So it won’t be any time soon I suspect.

It’s XGSPON and I’m very familiar with the costs. It’s what I do. 🫢

it’s not cheap to build the last mile, and there’s not enough homes per mile. So it won’t be any time soon I suspect.
It is part of what I do too (product development side). I agree that the cost of running any sort of line is prohibitive. However, I have observed that rural areas often get the latest tech because there is no installed base to contend with. The cost to install a copper wire or fiber is not much different (fiber might be cheaper), and the fiber can support many customers.

Top Bottom