Diff Skid Plates? Recommendations?

MajD

Thinking about running some diff skids plates on my 2018 JLU. I was looking at the rough country, MC, and Rancho.

The RC seems to be a good value for what they are and they are "black" which my entire jeep is.
The Rancho's look good but are kind of weird looking and "red" (nothing a can of spray paint can't fix)
The rear MC skid looks good but is a Zinc color which could be painted, the front looks like it requires a whole new Diff cover which I'm not sure I want to swap out.

What are everyone's thoughts on skid plates for Diff's? Any other vendors I should be looking at? My Jeep only has 2'' of lift on the Dynatrack Eurosport lift and 37's.

Also to add in, Lower Control Arm Skids plates? Yes/No?

Thanks all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you remove your diff cover and grind the bottom lip so that it sits above the housing, you should not need a diff skid.

That said, the front diff on the JL has that stupid drain plug that should be protected and I’ve had good results with Rancho. The red is annoying though 🤪

Upvote 0

MajD

if you remove your diff cover and grind the bottom lip so that it sits above the housing, you should not need a diff skid.
Thanks Eddie, sounds like an opportunity to use my new Dewalt Grinder. :unsure:

That said, the front diff on the JL has that stupid drain plug that should be protected and I’ve had good results with Rancho. The red is annoying though 🤪

Maybe I just need to embrace the red, the BBK I have coming has red calibers. My concern has been that drain plug as well.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
I’ve beat on mine pretty good without skid plates and haven’t had any issues

I have however considered the next venture diff skids but they’re so damn expensive

Upvote 0

I've heard you describe the Rancho one using a specific adjective... 🌈 LOL

Out of the people I've met running diff skids, that bright red Rancho one seems to be the most popular.

Upvote 0

RJV

I got the Rough Country ones for mine. I think they're the only ones that make one for the M200 rear. They seem to fit good and seem plenty beefy. Just didn't want to strip a drain plug on either with a rock. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Upvote 0

MajD

I got the Rough Country ones for mine. I think they're the only ones that make one for the M200 rear. They seem to fit good and seem plenty beefy. Just didn't want to strip a drain plug on either with a rock. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
I've been looking at these ones myself. With a JLUR I think I need the M210, M220. They have a set of skids for the lower control arm (lower shock mounts) as well that look promising. Will probably do the EVO skid sets that Eddie has a video on for the remaining armor to protect the cooling lines.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom